Chapter 54

Peter's POV

I stood by the door of the private waiting room, scanning the room. Morgan was asleep in Pepper's lap while she silently wiped her eyes. Wanda and Pietro sat in a seat whispering to each other. Sam, Thor, and Tony were out trying to find the shooter. Bruce was trying to get a hold of Helen Cho. Clint had left to make sure Laura and the kids got home safe. Steve and Bucky sat on either side of Lyric holding her. She was eerily silent, my jacket draped over her shoulder. Nat went home to get her a change of clothes. Jack's friends, Sam, Dean, and Castiel all sat in silence. The whole mood of the waiting room should have been the first sign.

A doctor walked in and everyone looked to her.

"Mr. Winchester's wife?" She called. Lyric stood up shakily with help from Bucky and walked toward the doctor.

"That'd be me." She said softly.

"The shot went through your husband's right aorta. It's a miracle he survived as long as he did." The doctor said sympathetically. The whole aura of the room shifted.

"A-as long as he did?" Lyric stuttered. I looked at her arms shaking and knew she wasn't alright.

"Lyric..." I frowned.

"I'm so sorry. Jack lost a lot of blood, you applying pressure at the scene helped, but it wasn't enough. Your husband didn't make it." The doctor apologized. Next thing I knew, Lyric was heading straight for the ground. I caught her and landed on the floor with her.

"Lyric? Lyric?!" I yelled.

"Can I get a gurney here?" The doctor called. Steve and Bucky ran next to me.

"Doll! Doll, wake up!" Bucky cried. The gurney arrived with a few doctors to carry Lyric away. I watched them leave with her and my heartbeat sped up. It was the only thing I heard in my ears.

This is it, this is what takes her from us, from me. 

Peter

She can't come back from this, not after all she's been through. 

Peter

The Lyric I once knew and loved will never come back now.

"Peter!" Pepper yelled shaking me. I focused on her and blinked a few times.

"Please, I need you to sit with Morgan. I...I gotta go see Jack." She sniffled. I completely forgot, Jack, is—or was her cousin. She's gotta be hurting just as much as Lyric, maybe even more.

"...yeah, I can do that," I answered slowly. I walked over to Morgan, curled up on the chair, and pulled her onto my lap. I rubbed her back slowly, trying to clear the confusion in my own mind.

Lyric's POV

I opened my eyes to see Dad sitting at the foot of my bed.

"Dad?" I asked softly. Dad moved up to the bead of my bed, one hand holding mine while the other stroked my hair, tears in his eyes.

"Hey, doll. You gave us quite a scare." He smiled sadly. I looked down and noticed I was in a hospital gown instead of my dress.

"What happened? I know Jack is—I know what the doctor told me. But why am I here?" I frowned.

"Lyric, Steve's talking to your doctor, but you passed out after hearing about Jack. When they carried you for a checkup, the doctor found something." Dad said.

"Oh God, please tell me I don't have cancer."

"No Doll, nothing like that. It's just—Lyric...did you and Jack know you were pregnant?" My heart dropped to my stomach and I blinked slowly.