Chapter 63

3rd Person POV

Iris got off the bus holding hands with her brother. She had such a great time at the zoo and couldn't wait to tell her parents.

"You think daddy would let us get a monkey?" Iris asked Junior.

"Maybe Uncle Tony would." He smiled.

"Junior! Come look at these!" One of Junior's friends called. Junior looked at his sister who was looking at him.

"I'll be right back, Kay? Tell me when mom and dad come. You're gonna be okay, right?" He asked.

"Yeah, I'll sit here." Iris smiled. Junior nodded and ran off to his friends. Iris sat on the steps of the school when a figure blocked the fall sun from her view. She looked up to see one of the school aids. She was new as Iris hadn't seen much of her.

"Hey, Iris, waiting for your mommy and daddy?" The aid asked.

"Mhmm. Daddy's probably gonna get us. I asked him this morning." Iris said quickly.

"You know, I knew your daddy very well. Your mommy too."

"Really?"

"Yeah. I'm your mommy's sister! That makes me your auntie." Iris frowned and narrowed her eyes at the woman in front of her.

"Mommy never said she had a sister." She said slowly.

"We don't talk much. I'm your aunt Jamie." Jamie smiled.

"How do you know daddy?"

"Your daddy was in love with me." At this Iris's eyes widened. How could her daddy have ever loved anyone other than her mommy?

"That's not true." Iris scowled.

"It is true! Your mommy had another husband before your daddy." Jamie grinned.

"Stop it!"

"They don't love each other, not really. You and your brother were just a mistake!"

"PJ!" Hearing the other twin's name being called, Jamie walked away from a crying Iris. Junior came running from his friends to see his sister crying on the steps.

"What happened?" Junior asked, taking his sister's hand, but Iris couldn't stop crying to answer him.

Soon Peter pulled up in the minivan with Lyric in the passenger seat. Seeing a group of teachers and students alarmed them. Lyric got out first, running to the group.

"What going on?" Lyric asked a teacher.

"Mrs. Parker, thank goodness you're here." The teacher sighed in relief. The crowd parted and Lyric saw Iris sobbing violently, Junior trying to console her.

"Iris, Junior, what happened?" Lyric called, moving to her kids. Peter was right behind her, taking Iris with open arms.

"She said you two don't love each other and me and brother were mistakes." Iris cried.

"Who, baby girl?" Peter asked.

"Aunt Jamie." She sobbed.

Peter's POV

"I want her fired! She can never interact with my kids ever again, do you understand me?!" Lyric yelled, her eyes a deep shade of green as she yelled at the principal.

"Mrs. Parker we are so sorry. This will never happen again." The principal said quickly.

"It better not or there will be hell to pay!" Lyric left the office and I followed behind her. Iris and Junior were sitting outside the office, Iris now just sniffling. Lyric kneeled in front of her and pulled her into her arms.

"I'm so sorry, Boo. Tell me how to make it better." She whispered.

"Why? Why didn't you and daddy love each other always?" Iris asked tearfully.

"We'll answer any questions you two have at home, alright?" I said. The drive home was tense, especially with Lyric refusing to look anywhere but out the window.

We got home and all sat in the living room to talk.

"So, that woman is your mother's sister," I confessed.

"I thought Papa and Bubba only had you." Junior frowned.

"You see, Papa and Bubba aren't my biological parents. You guys, mommy was taken by some bad people when I was around your age, just two years older than you. They kept me until I was 12 and then Papa and Bubba rescued me. My parents before them are dead." Lyric explained slowly.

"Why don't you and Aunt Jamie talk?" Junior asked.

"Because she and dad were in love," Iris answered softly.

"No, we weren't. There was a time, mommy and I weren't together." I sighed.

"You two didn't love each other?" Junior gasped.

"I never stopped loving daddy. Things just got hard, we were really young and couldn't handle it, so we took a long break. At that time, I met someone...Jack." Lyric said.

"Is that the man in the picture in the living room?" Iris asked.

"Yes, and I did love him so much, but he got hurt bad and went to heaven. Daddy helped me get better and we did get back together."

"But Jamie liked me a lot and she was jealous when mommy and I got back together," I added.

"We had a big fight and she left. I hadn't seen her since then and that was nearly 6 years ago." Lyric concluded.

"So, you two always loved each other?" Junior asked.

"Yes, honey. Your daddy and I love each other so much, we've been through so much." Lyric agreed.

"I don't like Aunt Jamie. I don't wanna see her again." Iris sniffled.

"You won't ever have to. PJ, I'm proud of how you took care of your sister today. We all need to take care of each other." I said. Junior smiled at me and looked at Iris.

"Daddy, can we go play outside?" Junior asked.

"Yeah, just be careful." The twins ran outside and I looked over at Lyric who was unusually quiet.

"Hey, what's going on in that beautiful mind?" I asked, pulling her legs in my lap.

"I can't believe...she knows where they go to school. Sh-she knew where to find them." Lyric sobbed, covering her mouth. I brought her into a hug and let her cry on my shoulder.

"Shh, I know you're scared, but they're ok. We can switch schools if you want." I offered.

"I wanted them to have normal childhoods. They don't deserve my crazy life." Lyric coughed.

"I'm gonna take care of us, you just gotta trust me." Lyric looked up at me and nodded.

"Of course I trust you." She sniffled, kissing me. I rubbed her back, as she broke away from the kiss and rested on my chest.

"We'll get past this," I promised.

"I know." Lyric agreed softly.