Social media is H E L P F U L

I was being a goshdarn moody teen today, so my mom sent me an article about how social media is bad for teenage girls. Thank you mom.

I was in fact in a bad mood because my parents had been making jokes about my friend who was overweight, and they laughed when I told them to stop. But yeah, that goddamn phone.

The thing is, instagram has helped me so much, and it's not fair to dismiss it merely as something people go on to create a false image of themselves. I learned asexuality existed on instagram. You know that thing where kids go to college and get more informed views on life? Something of that type happened to me when I got instagram. I learned about the extents of racism, sexism, homophobia, etc. in modern life. 

Without instagram, I wouldn't have realized my friend group of that time was extremely toxic. I found accounts that gave advice I badly needed, and used it to at least try and make my life a little better (Fun fact about me! I was mentally in a really bad place a few years ago, which I know seems kind of young, but going through puberty was a fucking trip) Instead of becoming more self conscious of how I looked, I found body positivity, which I badly needed then. 

Have I used it to flex on people? Yes. But that doesn't consume my life. Adults are so focused on the supposedly poisoning effects of social media that they won't think about it's helpful aspects. 

Disclaimer-ish: I don't think I've said a single positive thing about my parents on here, but they're not that bad. Am I going to say they're angels? No. But they do try, so at least they're in the right mindset