40

♥️

Last night was perfect, it's all I can think about as I lay in our empty bed stretching against the silk sheets.

I feel like I'm in a daze as I get up and wrap a robe around myself. My eyes pan over to the nightstand and the clock reads nine twenty-two. Aiden already left for work hours ago, I feel guilty I didn't get to tell him by.

With slow uncalculated steps I stumble into the kitchen to get some water, my throat is so parched.

The elevator chimes and I assume it's the bodyguard. I walk over to greet him since I will be with him twenty-four seven, his back is to me as he stands rigid in the elevator. I don't know his name so I say "Sir?" Quietly, he doesn't respond.

Maybe he's on the phone. But then his body falls back and thumps against the hard floor. He's covered in blood and lifeless, my stomach doubles over.

Terror courses through me as I see a smiling Lucio Matarazzo waltz through the doors stepping over the guard I never got to meet.

But Aiden killed him... he shot him in the chest.

Was he wearing a vest?

Oh my God.

With no time to think I run to the bedroom, my eyes quickly panning in search of my phone but I can't find it. I hear his heavy footsteps coming for me so I rush into the bathroom and lock the door.

I can hide in here until Aiden gets home, is all I can think of but my hope is tarnished when I hear wood creaking, no not creaking... breaking, snapping.

My eyes widen as I take in the sight of the heavy wooden bathroom door dipping in, being opened with brute force.

Lucio stands in the doorframe, laughing. With quick movements he makes his way to me, I tremble in fear but I can't move. He brings a greasy hand to my throat and lifts me off the cold bathroom for.

I tremble as he pushes a stray piece of my hair behind my ear, a smile taking over his lips. "Oh, sweet girl." He's speaking in English but it's heavily accented. His Italian features are dark and sinister.

I look down at his other hand when a shimmer catches my eye, a sharp blade sits clenched between his hands.

Fear is coursing through my veins but not for me, for Aiden. "Please, just kill me. Don't hurt him." I beg but the words are distant, everything feels distant.

He laughs in my face, "Oh, that's what I plan on. Killing you and sitting by your dead body until your lover arrives home to find you bled out on the floor." He smiles and I clench my fist to hit him, but before I can hit him he slides the long knife inside of me.

I look down as he twists and curls the knife inside my stomach. The shock halts me as I stare at him in disbelief as blood trickles down my robe.

A blood-curdling scream begs for him to take it out. Why is he twisting it? Why is this happening to me?

"Get it out!" I scream and he laughs maniacally before plunging it in my side.

"Get it out!" I cry.

I close my eyes, not wanting Lucio to be the last thing I see before I die.

I imagine Aiden, with his smile that he reserves only for my eyes. How his serious demeanor changes when I walk in the room.

Lucio removes the knife from my side and plunges it into my heart.

Everything goes obsidian as I slip away.

💔