44

♥️

I hop into the black SUV after leaving the pastry shop and tell the guard -who's name I've learned is Howard - to high tail it to Aiden's building so he can hear the good news. The ride is quiet, and I note that Howard doesn't like to speak. I have made it my mission to get him to talk.

I practically fly inside the massive building while Howard steadily runs behind me to keep up. The elevator can't move fast enough, these things still make me anxious.

When I reach Aiden's office I'm too excited to even knock so I fling the door open but when I do, I instantly regret it and my stomach drops.

A woman is sitting in the chair in front of his desk, Aiden's seated in his chair across from her. She looks so casual and comfortable sitting across from him, it makes me naseous. Her short gray dress is hiked up where her legs are crossed. Her blonde hair swings as she brings her perfect face to look at who just ran through the door. I stand in the frame as the smile fades from my face.

"Excus-" Aiden's eyes fling to the door as he goes to scold whoever just walked in his office without knocking. As soon as his eyes land on my face he softens.

Aiden excuses himself and ushers me right outside his door before closing it. He places a hand on my arm, "Baby? Why do you look so sad? Did they not hire you?" I see his face contort with anger but I shake my head.

"It's nothing." I lie. "I got the job." I say in a small disinterested voice. He looks at me funny and I look at the tile flooring.

Aiden brings his hand to my chin and forces my face to look at his. "What?" He demands to know what's wrong, but I don't want to sound childish or stupid.

I gesture to the door and quietly say, "Who is she?" I see a smile take over his face and I swat him.

"Emilia, You're jealous." He says with an arrogant tone and I roll my eyes.

"No." I lie.

He puts his hand on my shoulder. "Baby, I need an assistant." He shrugs and I want to say well why one so pretty... but before I can he sees my sad features and smiles.

"It's fine." I assure him, I trust him. I think the shock of seeing such a beautiful girl in his office just caught me off guard, It really isn't a big deal.

He raises his brow "You don't want me to hire her, I won't" he says as he opens the door and begins to step inside.

I grab his arm as he edges the doorway "No!" I whisper scream but it's too late. "Ms. Meyer, Thanks for your time." He says simply while she stands, smiling. He extends his hand and shakes hers. "But I have to attend to something important, my front desk associate will call you if you've been hired."

And with that she smiles at all of us and walks out. He ushers me in and closes the door behind us leaving Howard standing guard outside the door.

I sigh, "Aiden, is she qualified?" I ask trying not to sound bitter.

He shrugs, "Not really. I don't know, look. It doesn't really matter."

I look at him with a serious expression, "If she's qualified, you should hire her." I tell him and he shakes his head.

"I don't know, I have a lot of applicants to go through. We will see but I don't care about that." He wraps me in a tight hug that lifts me off the ground. "You got the job!" His voice in cheery and I can't help but smile.

I nod. "I did! It's so cute too, like a little French bakery." I swoon over the decor and tell him every detail of the rustic exposed brick that lines the shop. "I can't wait to see the kitchen!" I practically jump out of my heels.

"Well your boss must have really liked you." He smiles, "Avery, is it? Was she nice?" He asks with a lifted brow and I hesitate. If I tell him, what will he do? I don't want to lie, I promised myself I wouldn't be dishonest with him ever, but I will tell him after a week... once he sees it's not a big deal I'll do something sweet for forgiveness. I just want him to trust my judgment.

"She's great!" I say. "I start tomorrow."

*****

Later:

I've noticed Aiden being busier than normal lately. Along with hiring extra security he barely had time to talk to me when I asked him about his assistant position. He told me he's going to put it off until he finds the right candidate.

Right now, I'm standing in the doorframe of our bedroom waiting for him to come to bed but he's sitting at the kitchen table, hair a mess with his dress shirt undone as he looks over mass amounts of paperwork.

I get impatient so I tip toe in the room. "Aiden?" I say and he doesn't look up from his work.

"Yes, sweetheart?" He cocks his head to the side but his interest is in the papers. I know he's busy but I just want some attention, especially after such great news that I got a job today.

I walk up behind him and wrap my arms around his neck and dot kisses on his cheek. "What are you up too?" I ask as I look down at the papers that are strewn over the table.

He sighs, "Just work." He tilts his face and kisses my arm that's draped over him. "Why don't you go to bed? I'll be up a while."

I slink myself in front of him and straddle him on the chair. "Maybe I can help." I say as I kiss his neck. A perfect smirk pops on his features but he quickly goes back into serious mode, "No, go to bed. I have a lot to do."

I raise my brow at him, "You're mad at me?" I ask with a sad tone. He brings a hand to my shoulder and grazes his fingers down the length of my body. "Of course not baby. I'm just busy."

I climb off of him without saying a word and head back to the room, half waiting for him to follow me but he doesn't. So, I drift off to sleep alone but I get it. He's busy.
♥️