45

♥️

The next day I ride with Harold to work, he offers to walk me in but I decline. I was hoping Aiden would drop me off but he was already gone before I got up.

I open the doors and smile at the sweet aromas that waft through the air. "Ahh, Ms. Banks." Avery smiles and then coughs once, "I mean Emilia. Come." He gestures to the back. I smile with excitement over getting to see the kitchen.

"This is for you." He says as he hands me a white apron. The shop's name is written in black scroll across the front.

I wrap it around my body but can't tie the string properly as I stand at an awkward angle. Avery comes up behind me and grabs the strings from my hands. "I've got it." He says with his slight accent. I'm so lucky to have a nice boss. I've heard horror stories about chefs who yell at their assistants and from the looks of it, I think Avery will be a nice boss. When I first met him he looked so intimidating, maybe I shouldn't judge someone so quickly.

"Thanks!" I say kindly as I wait for instructions while dancing back and forth on the balls of my feet.

He laughs while he ties his own apron, "Eager, are we?" He laughs.

I nod "This is my dream; I can't wait for you to teach me everything you know." I smile.

He places his hand on the small of my back and guides me over to a working station. "The first step, always wash your hands when you enter the kitchen." He turns the water on. "After you touch anything you always wash your hands, okay?" He checks the temperature.

I place my hands under the warm water and apply the soap, I work it in, and Avery shakes his head beside me. "You need a better lather. Here, let me help." He says as he brings his hands under the water and begins to rub the soap up and down. I instinctively want to pull away but I am training, and this is a part of it, I guess. I'm sure he doesn't want germs on his food.

The workday goes by fast as I learn everything about the kitchen as well as a new technique on kneading dough. I'll be able to head home in half an hour, I can't wait to see Aiden.

"I know you just started but as you can tell by the oven we are in need of upgrades; I'm hiring a company to come in over the week to add all new appliances." He smiles and I can tell how excited he is. I look around at the polished kitchen and everything looks so beautiful and new, but it did take about thirty minutes to start the oven and preheat and that just won't work when we are busy.

"That's awesome, I bet you'll love having it preheat quickly." I smile and he nods in agreement. "When will I come back?" I ask and he brings a hand to his chin.

"Friday." He decides and we continue to work until my hands are sore from kneading dough.

As I slide into the back of the SUV I check my phone, there's one text from Aiden.

I'll be home late, don't wait up for me.

Again? Wonderful.

*****

It's Saturday night and I'm sitting alone on the couch waiting for Aiden to get home. The elevator dings and Ashley burst through the apartment, when I see her I'm happy but my body sighs, I really miss Aiden.

She rolls her eyes as she stands in front of the couch, "Hoping I was someone else?" She asks and I shake my head.

Feigning a bright smile I say, "Aiden's just been busy, but I miss you too! Come sit and catch up." I pat the couch but she shakes her head as a sinister smile takes over her features.

I instantly shake my head as I look at her, hair done. Make up perfect. Short dress on. Oh no.

"No club," I tell her before she can say anything.

She grabs my wrist. "No clubs. Ricky's throwing a party. Come on!" She pulls me into the room, Harold is sitting at the kitchen table deep in his work on the laptop. An idea pops into my head as Ashley leads us to the bedroom.

I want Aiden's attention. I'm too chicken to tell him that, I mean he's busy because he's working and trying to keep us safe with the new house and all but I miss him.

If Ricky or Harold tells him I'm at a party, he will come. Bingo.

*****

"That one." I say to Ashley as she flings clothes from the closet. She nods in agreenement before tossing it to me. It's a silver party dress, the back is cut low as well as the front. If I want to catch Aiden's attention this is the dress to do it in.

Harold is waiting for us as soon as we step out of the bedroom. Ashley looks at him pointedly, "Listen here, buddy." She snickers as she tries to be serious. "We're going to Ricky's. You call my brother... you'll have to deal with me." For the first time, I see a smile form on Harold's face. He looks over to Ashley's bodyguard and nods, "I'll drive the girls." He says as we all get on the elevator.

**

The party is a little more packed then I expected, there's music blaring throughout the large apartment and people everywhere. Everyone is dressed nicely and Ricky's apartment is very upscale, I'm glad Ash is somewhere safe and from the looks of Ricky pouring drinks on the bar top, they party the same way too.

I see her smile brighten when he catches her eye, so cute! I walk up and rest my elbow on the bartop. He still hasn't seen me because he's too busy eyeing Ashley. I love it.

He hands Ashley a drink and pours one for himself, I need liquid courage so I grab it from his hands which makes Ashley laugh. His eyes fling to me and then widen.

"Hey Ricky!" I say with a sly smile and he looks at me like I'm an alien in his apartment, he gives me one long drawn out "Heyyy" before turning to the fridge and pulling out his phone.

Updating Aiden, I'm sure.

Just like I planned.

♥️