43

♥️

Aiden helps me into his Mercedes, It's my first time riding in this car. Well, I rode in it once but I was asleep the entire way home. I'm used to his classic car and as I look around at the modern detail along with the middle seat that I can't slide into I sigh.

He looks at me with a raised brow and I just shake my head. Knowingly, he tilts his head and smiles, "You prefer the Mustang?" I smile and agree. He nods his head in approval before pushing the button and taking off down the road.

I point where to turn as the guard follows close behind us in a black SUV. I begin to feel guilty about complaining about having a bodyguard but this is all so weird to me. "I'm sorry I may be working over here and your detail has to come with me everywhere." I frown.

He slides a warm hand on my thigh, keeping his eyes on the road. "No, I'm happy. I want you to live your life however you see fit. You won't even notice he's there."

As we arrive Aiden parks the car out front and comes around to open the door for me, I climb out with his help before he plants a kiss on my cheek. "Do you need me to come inside?" He asks and I laugh.

"Absolutely not. Get to work. I'll ride back with the British soldier guy whenever the interviews over." He gives me an odd expression and I realize I said British soldier guy but I don't have time to explain so I shrug and kiss him quickly on the lips to say goodbye before turning away.

He grips my arm firmly and yanks me back into his firm body, when I turn around he has a serious expression. He brings one hand to cup my cheek, "No job will ever come before me, understand? Don't rush to say goodbye to me again." He states and I gulp at the way his eyes are burning into me.

He brings his lips to mine and kisses me passionately before pulling me back and smiling "Good luck baby girl." He says before walking away and leaving me breathless as usual.

I see the sign for the bakery, In black cursive, it says 'Thé Patisserie' It's a quaint French pastry shop tucked in a small corner of the busy Portland city streets.

I take one breath before squaring my shoulders and walking in. I'm instantly hit with the aromas as they swirl around, fresh espresso and an assortment of pastries and sweets line the glass counters.

I get excited just imagining all the techniques I'll learn from Avery. Do I call her misses Avery or just Avery? Maybe by her last name? I'm sweating thinking of all the things that can go wrong. My confidence flies out the window at the site of such a modern and beautiful pastry café.

A woman walks up to the counter and eyes me before smiling, I take in her appearance... mid-twenties and beautiful blonde hair. She must be very accomplished to be so young with her own storefront in the city. "You must be Ms. Banks." She says with a wide smile and I walk up to her "Yes, please call me Emilia." I extend my hand for her to shake and she does.

I don't usually use my full name but I have to admit it sounds fancier and I actually like when Aiden calls me by my full name so hearing others say it will remind me of him. She gestures to the back "Right this way Emilia."

We walk through the small yet spacious shop to a backroom. Avery is so friendly I feel like this interview will be a breeze until she opens the door revealing an office with a man sitting behind a mahogany desk.

His deep voice bellows through the room "Ahh, thank you, Miranda." He looks over at me. "This must be Ms. Banks." He smiles and I try to think of something to say, but he looks so intimidating.

"Hello, Mr." I look to his nameplate since I didn't remember the last name. "Moreau." As soon as Miranda steps away I walk over to him and extend my hand.

I'm thankful when he smiles. He looks less intimidating and more youthful. Not that he's older by any means, he just looks so serious. Maybe in his late twenties. Attractive by beauty standards.

His black hair is slicked back and his tan skin clashes with his white outfit. "Please have a seat." He gestures to the leather chair and I sit. His french accent isn't too heavy and it's easy to understand him.

We go through the usual mundane interview questions and I sit nervously trying not to fidget as he looks over my resume. "So you have no experience." He asks without looking up from the papers.

I sit up straighter, "While I don't have any hands-on experience in a professional kitchen, this is my passion. I would love the opportunity to show you what I can do." I smile, proud of myself for being so confident.

His eyes come up from the papers and he looks me over with a smile before standing up, "You're hired." He says and I shoot up from my chair.

"Really?" I try not too, but I slightly squeal which makes him laugh.

"Yes, can you start tomorrow? I would say today but..." His eyes look over my dress "I wouldn't want you to ruin that dress."

I'm over the moon excited about my first real job and to have such an amazing opportunity. He could hire anyone with experience or a degree, but he hired me on the spot just like that.

"Tomorrow is great!" My smile is beaming through the office and I can't wait to tell Aiden the great news but I'm not going to tell him Avery is a man right away, he has to see why this is okay. Nothing will happen and he has nothing to worry about.

♥️