Nebel

I was right about the bottle of Jack. It didn't withstand the hours we spent talking, laughing and just chillin'. Like any guitarist though, we had to have a dick measuring contest. I had my old blue acoustic and when I told Richard to take his pick, he all but bee-lined for the red sunburst Gibson acoustic in my guitar collection.

"Would've thought you'd have gone for one of my ESPs" I gestured to the electric guitars selection. I had a bit of everything; a few Gibsons, a few ESPs, a few Fenders but there were also a few no-name guitars there as well as a 50/50 ratio between electric and acoustic. "You know how there's guitars you perform with and then there's that one guitar at home that you write with? Not because it's special as in it's all that, but you're drawn to it for no reason" Richard asked, tuning it to his liking. "Ah. So you are a musician" I laughed as I held up my blue guitar. "Well this one reminds me of my old faithful" Richard shrugged, satisfied at its tuning. I completely understood what he was saying and nodded.

"This was my first" I smiled down at the battered guitar settled comfortably in my lap. Richard smiled down at it. "It doesn't look like much to me but I bet you know every notch, bump and quirk. Yes?" He asked. "Of course I do" I say. "You ready?" He asks.

And that's how we enjoyed each other's company until we decided to order in; trading licks of our favourite songs on my couch and playing shit we whipped up in our heads. "I never thought I'd say this about another guitarist but you might just be as good as I am. Maybe" Richard laughed. "I was just about to say the same thing about you" I poke my tongue out. "Well excuse me" He feigns offence and laughs. I started strumming absent-mindedly. It still doesn't drown out the sound of my stomach grumbling.

"Bout time for dinner isn't it?" Richard chuckled as my stomach gurgled again. "Apparently so. The boss has spoken. Now is the real question; Chinese or pizza? Or something else entirely" I ask, putting my guitar down reluctantly. "Pizza of course. Know of a decent hole in the wall around here?" Richard asked, following suit and putting the guitar back in the rack. "Plenty of holes in the wall. Probably not ones you eat at though" I laughed, taking a prime opportunity to crack a disgusting joke. Richard twigged immediately. "That was extremely bad, I love it" He smiled. "In all seriousness, there's a decent place just down the road next to the bottle shop should you want to grab some more Jack" I cock my head, awaiting his decision.

So we wandered up to the pizza shop and ordered. It wasn't the cleanest or the classiest. Hell they didn't even have gourmet pizza on the menu, but the pizza was to die for. I made sure whenever I moved to locate the best pizza shop and the thing I'd learned over the years was that the dodgier it looked, the better the pizza seemed to be. After we ordered, we walked two doors down and bought two bottles of Jack Daniels and walked back to the pizza shop.

"So what are we gonna do once we get back to my place?" I ask Richard. He pondered my question and responded with "Bad movies and pizza?" He offered, grasping my hand and giving it a gentle squeeze. It's like he could read my mind. "Hell yes. I've got some bad B-graders sitting around if you're down" I nod, wondering where exactly they were. "Done deal" Richard leaned down and kissed me.