Rosenrot

With my suitcase packed, my best friend showered me and groomed me before doing my make-up and picking a cute but sensible outfit. Nothing crazy, just so the bags under my eyes weren't so bad and so I'd look cute when I first saw my man again. Plus we figured border security would pull me aside to ask why a member of the living dead wanted to fly to Germany.

She drove as fast as she could to the airport with an hour to spare and all but kicked me out of her car. "Go get your man. Love you now get out" She kisses my cheek and undoes my seatbelt. "Thanks babe. I love you too. And I mean it, thanks for everything" I smile at my best friend before I get out and grab my suitcase out of the backseat. I wave her off and walked as fast as I could.

Customs and border security dealt with, I sat at the gate and waited for my flight. I finally got the chance to look at my boarding pass. That sly bitch, I thought with a smile. My best friend had bought me a one-way, first class ticket to Berlin Tegel Airport.

While sitting in the terminal, I thought I should deal with the Richard situation. I dial his number.

"Well hello. I was wondering when I would hear from you again"

His voice sounded so warm but there was a tinge of anxiety to it. He knew what was to come.
"I heard your phone call to Till"

I hear nothing but silence.

"So I guess this is it, as much as I don't want to give you up without a fight"

My heart began to pull in my chest at the sound of his voice saddening.

"I'm sorry, Richard. I can't help the way I feel and I feel even worse that I'm doing this over the phone"

"Not gonna lie, it kind of hurts"

Tears begin to form in my eyes. I didn't want to hurt him but I couldn't keep stringing him along. I mean I was running off to Europe to be with another man. I couldn't leave him hanging.

"I don't want to let you go, but if I really cared about you, I would"

"I'm so sorry" I whisper, tears streaming down my cheeks.

"I wish you nothing but the best, Lainie"

The sound of his voice saying my name all but killed me.

"Goodbye, Richard. I will always treasure our time together. No matter where I go or who I'm with"

It wasn't a lie. I couldn't forget him and my heart was breaking for him.

"I...I love you"

The line goes dead and I cover my face with my hands, crying freely at what I've just done.

Our flight number was called and we boarded the plane where I proceeded to spend the next 40 hours attempting to sleep, watching dumb movies and abusing the champagne privileges to try and forget about Richard. When we finally got to Berlin, I stepped off the plane and took my first steps towards fixing the beautiful thing I had broken. Well, one of them at least.