Chapter 41 ~ Butterfly Kisses and Snake Bites

A/N: There is a one week time skip :)

-----------

The light shines in through my bedroom window, shining its warm light on my face. Opening my blue eyes, I stare at the light, wondering for the first time why I don't burn in the sunlight. The rest of my family does, so why wouldn't I? Why don't I erupt into flames and burn like everyone else? Even though I'm thinking this, I already know the answer: because I'm a magical tribred.

You'd think being a tribred is so cool, and that I'd be flaunting it around - but its just the opposite. It actually stinks. Big time. Rolling over, I stare up at the ceiling, and blink a few times trying to figure out the purpose of waking up and getting up out of bed and going about the day. There's nothing to look forward to, really.

Fighting to survive, trying to figure out who my enemies are, who wants to kill me and who doesn't, and trying to get my best friend - and mentor, out of a mystical dagger because a psycho witch put her spirit in there. Yeah, sounds like a lot of fun doesn't it? Oh, and lets not forget the wake.

The wake. The words strike a pang in my heart, and make my throat cease up. Today is the day that I get to say goodbye my first love, and try to not show that I'm beyond angry at my father for being the one that killed him in the first place. Even thinking about the whole situation makes me want to curl up under the covers and stay hidden for the rest of my miserable life - which is forever.

A slight knock comes from my door, and I look up and sigh slightly swallowing the lump in my throat. "Yeah?" I call out in a groggy voice, and the door opens slightly.

My moms head pokes through, and she smiles warmly at me. "Time to get up, you have a long day ahead of you." She says with a reassuring smile, and bright alert eyes that normally make me feel a lot better instantly. Normally. As in not today.

Nodding anyway, I slide up so that I'm leaning against the headboard. "Okay, I'll be right out."

Shen nods, and starts to close the door when she opens it again. "Oh, and there's a phone call for you. Someone named Feli-" She doesn't get to finish, because my head whips up faster then she's ever seen before, stopping her in her tracks.

"I got it!" I say hurriedly, jumping out of bed and grabbing a hair wrap. "She's just an old friend, um, someone that helped me get something." I slip out the door, pecking her cheek on my way downstairs.

I hesitate at the base of the steps, trying to remember where the phone is. Ever since Astra burned down our house, we've had to live in a new house that is beyond complicated to remember where things are - mainly because of the size of it.

I listen hard, and can hear the faint breathing coming through the end of the phone, and dash towards it. After finding it, I pick it up and press it against my ear. "Hey. You got it?" I murmur softly, moving into the kitchen and flicking on the faucet and then the blender so that no one can eavesdrop.

"Yeah. You sure about this?" She responds, and the reception is awful wherever she is, and her words crackles.

"Positive. I'll see you at the wake, you can give it to me then." I say in a rushed tone, looking around to make sure no one is coming in the kitchen.

"I won't be there, can't make it." She says in a flat tone.

"That's fine, I'll talk to you later then?" I don't know why it comes out like a question, it just does.

"Yeah, okay. Bye." A dial tone rings in my ear, and sighing I hang up as well.

Turning, my mom is standing in the doorway, and she raises one eyebrow curiously. I shrug slightly, and flick off the faucet and blender. Turning, I yank open the fridge and stare at it with a blank expression on my face for a few minutes.