Diary: Memories From The Youth (1)

(Han's POV)

Hanzo. Hanzo Asuzawa. That was the first name that I got since I was born.

My grandfather left a will to his first son, Nobuo Asuzawa, to name his grandchildren. He said "If it is a boy, he will be named, Hanzo. If it is a girl she will be named, Hana."

Long after that, a baby boy was born and I gained Hanzo as my name.

But in the future, it was more than just my old name.

The earliest memories I could remember was when my father, Nobuo Asuzawa, need to leave the country somewhere far with my mother. When I tried to ask why they didn't permit me to come with them?

They said that I will feel happier here, in Japan with my grandmother.

At that time I was still a child and I didn't know anything about the world or country affair.

In short, my father leaves because of his military works.

He had a reason, of course. For not taking me with them, let just say, it was something related to my safety.

My mother left too because she didn't want to separate far from my father.

If the country my father appointed to which was near Japan, it was okay perhaps, but the problem was, it wasn't.

Thus, my mother determines herself to come with my father and she knows what difficulty she will face on, but she wasn't afraid.

My father was a general, it was easy for him to take care of my mother's problem citizenship.

For one year they leave me alone with grandmother and a few servants.

In that one year, sometimes I tried to ask grandmother to play with me but always got rejected by her.

She said that I was being spoiled too much by my father.

She didn't like my attitude to playing all the time, she scolds me to study.

In the truth that wasn't the real reason. My grandmother wasn't that fond of me.

She always looked at me sometimes with a disgusted expression, but she didn't hate my origin which mix of half local half foreigner.

She simply hates my mother and I am, my mother's child.

It reminded her of my father ex-girlfriend who was a foreigner too, who betrayed him because she was cheating on his back.

My grandmother was still feeling contempt for her son's ex-girlfriend which ends with a result, hatred or dislikes toward my mother, then, toward me.

She thought all foreigner was the same just like my father's ex-girlfriend.

But when we were gathered together as a family with my mother and father, my grandmother will quickly cover her dislike face with a smile, trying to hide it from her beloved son and she succeeds in doing that.

My grandmother was a conservative lady and very traditional.

She had the same personality as my grandfather.

Strict, tough and a strong woman. Because she practiced several martial arts before.

She taught me kendo[1] because it was her specialty.

I was a too weak and spoiled brat at that time and I always throw tantrum with her.

When I was alone with her I always get scold and beat by a bamboo sword to get work out, because I was a lazy kid.