Part 2, Chapter 10. Rise of Moltres, Part 1.

Before Kyla and Chaz are even halfway to the island, Moltres fires a massive towering column of fire into the air, as a warning to all who would approach. Chaz stops, hovering in position.

"What's wrong?" Kyla asks.

Chaz stares intently as Moltres, still reffed in molten lava, slowly turns her head and looks straight at them. The look is not one of anger, but rather pledging for mercy. Chaz's expression changes to one of understanding, as he answers Kyla with low gentle grunts.

Kyla looks between him and Moltres. "She was hurt?!"

Chaz nods.

Kyla is speechless. Thoughts fly through her head, as Moltres continues to slowly rise out of the volcano, constantly aware of their presence. Kyla watches conflicted as to what to do. On one hand, she could leave Moltres alone and hope she gets another chance to capture her. However, if she attacked first, she might have a better chance of capturing her now. 

Kyla scratches her head furiously with both hands. "WHAT DO I DO?!" She shouts, overwhelmed by the argument growing inside her mind.

Chaz grunts and points down to a splinter of the island, untouched by lava.

Kyla follows the path of his motions. "Do.. you think it is safe?"

Chaz nods.

They land, but as they do so, a sound catches their attention. It sounds like a screech, coming from the north. Kyla pulls out a pair of binoculars and looks in the direction of the sound. To her surprise, she spots Articuno flying straight towards them. 

"That has to be Hermit, but..." Kyla thinks for a moment. "If he is closing distance this fast, he must think Moltres is a threat to the island." Kyla surveys the scene of lava. "He might not be completely off the mark, but..." Kyla looks up at Moltres, who continues to ease herself out of the lava. "She is making no effort to attack anyone."

 Chaz grunts frantically. 

Kyla nods. "If Moltres sees Articuno, her first instinct will be to defend herself. We have to stop Hermit before he gets too close."

As they take off, as fast as possible towards the north, Moltres watches curiously. As they finally near Articuno the two Pokemon come to a hover in front of one another.

"What are you doing?! Move Kyla! We have to seal the volcano up before it does serious damage to the surrounding islands!" Hermit barks.

"Listen.. Hermit, Moltres is not a threat to the island....."

Before she can finish, Hermit and Articuno fly by Kyla and Chaz, on a direct route to Moltres. Chaz whips around and follows, but can not keep up the same speed. 

"Chaz, Mega Evolution, GO!" Kyla orders, as she outstretches her arm.

Chaz glows and begins to emit black flames, roaring loudly as he emerges as Mega Charizard X. Kyla hangs on tight as Chaz forcefully shots forward, catching up with Articuno. Chaz glares at Articuno, as she glares back.

"I have this handled, Hermit! Don't make it worse for me!" Kyla yells.

Another Flamethrower shoots into the air, from the volcano, as Moltres announces she has spotted Articuno. Moltres frees herself quicker from the lava, shining bright with molten fire.

Kyla and Chaz stop in front of Articuno and Hermit. "You are about to cross a line, Hermit."

Hermit scoffs. "I was about to say the same thing to you."

Articuno charges up an Ice Beam and fires it at Chaz. Chaz responds quickly with a Flamethrower. The two attacks create a thick cloud of fog, from which neither trainer can see each other.