Part 2, Chapter 21. The Violet Tower, part 2.

As Staraptor and Monferno continue to exchange and duck blows. Josh begins to look progressively more nervous. 

"Fury Swipes!" Josh orders.

Monferno ducks the next blow and begins clawing into Staraptor. Feathers fly as they are ripped off.

"Take Down!" Falkner orders.

Staraptor blindly lunges forward, slamming into Monferno, knocking him back.

Monferno retaliates quickly with Flame Wheel, burning Staraptor, and putting more distance between them.

"Staraptor, Whirlwind!" Falkner orders.

"Overheat and Flame Wheel!" Josh orders.

Kyla aggressively turns to Blare. "Are you kidding me?!"

Blare waves her hand. "He wanted to use combos like you and Chaz do!"

Kyla moves closer. "Don't forget these students are going to be your opposites in the tournament!"

Blare nervously laughs. "More experience more fun, right?!"

Kyla moves back, still glaring at her. "No more handing out TM's."

"Okay okay!" Blare exclaims, nervously.

As Whirlwind hits Monferno, he uses Flame Wheel, turning the air into a tornado of fire.

Falkner's eyes go wide, and a smile grows on his face. "Very nice strategy."

"If you like that, you are going to hate this. Monferno, grab him!" Josh orders.

Monferno jumps and grabs Staraptor and pins him to the ground, inside the fire tornado. Staraptor clinches his beak as he is burned badly. Monferno then puts him in a headlock and begins to squeeze. Staraptor buck and fights to get free but slowly stops moving.

"Monferno, release and disperse the fire." Josh orders. 

Monferno lets go and the fire disappears as he stares at Falkner.

Falkner recalls Staraptor before David can make his ruling, and steps forward slowly, keeping his eyes locked on Monferno. Josh joins them in the center of the field. 

"That was a brilliant strategy, Josh was it?" Falkner asks.

Josh nods. "It is a combo our teacher uses often."

Falkner hands him a Zephyr Badge. "Do me one favor."

Josh looks cautiously as he takes the badge.

Monferno stares up at Falkner.

"Treat your Pokemon very well. He has a lot of anger in his eyes." Falkner says.

Josh looks down at Monferno and gently places his hand on his shoulder, calming him down. He then looks back up at Falkner. "I will. He and I will have some quality time after this too."

Falkner smiles. "Good. I look forward to cheering you all on at the tournament."

They shake hands and part. Falkner returns to his side of the field, and Josh returns to the sideline with Monferno in toe. Blare and Kyla begin playing rock, paper, scissors to see who goes next. Blare wins.

Blare jumps with joy. "Ha ha! I am next!" 

Kyla sighs. "Fine!" Waving her hand.

Blare rushes onto the field. "Let's go, Falkner!"

Falkner chuckles. "So eager!"

David lowers his hand. "Begin!"

They both throw their Pokeballs and out pop Pelipper and Jolteon.