Part 2, Chapter 16. Uphill All The Way

Kyla and David make their way down the road, to the school. As they get closer, they hear the sound of a whip and a female voice yelling.

"Oh, good grief!" David says, putting his hand over his face.

"Is that?!..." 

David nods silently. 

Kyla runs quickly ahead, passing the main schoolhouse and running down the hill to the PE track. 

David slowly walks to the main schoolhouse. Glancing in Kyla's direction. "I am NOT going down there. I would rather deal with Ivory."

Kyla runs onto the track, in front of a stampede of students. "STOP!" Kyla yells.

The students continue past her, yelling back to her.

"Did you forget she is deaf?!" Deanna shouts.

"She is crazy, watch out!!!" Another student shouts.

Kyla turns to look at them, then turns back to see Ebony coming at her with a whip.

"Run! Run!" Ebony laughs evilly.

Kyla waves her arms wildly to get Ebony's attention.

Ebony slides to a stop, feet from her, staring, as she often did, intently at her. "What are you doing here?"

"I came to talk to the students!" Kyla says, excitedly.

"Oh, is it about the Johto Tournament?" Ebony asks.

"How did you know about that?" Kyla asks.

Ebony smiles.. it is scary to see a smile on her often grim face. "I am a member of the Pokemon League too, it is only natural I get email newsletters."

The students gather behind Kyla. 

"Thank you." Clare whispers.

"Don't thank me yet." Kyla whispers back. "I would like to invite them to begin their travels in Johto. Also, to either be our guests as spectators or enter the tournament on their own terms in two months."

Ebony thinks for a moment. "It would be a good trip. I have no idea why Ivory keeps holding them back from graduation."

"So you agree to those terms?" Kyla asks.

Ebony smile, her face shadowed and glasses glowing white. "If they give me two more laps in the next ten minutes, I will personally vouch for their graduation."

The students cower behind Kyla.

"All of them?" Kyla pushes.

Ebony laughs. "All of them!"

Kyla looks at the track. It is a quarter-mile track. She turns to the exhausted students. "Another half mile and you all have Ebony's recommendation for graduation."

A student, tripping sweat from his face and panting, waves his hand. "Do you.. have any idea.. how long.. she has been.. running us?!!"

Kyla shrugs.

"For five, freaking, miles now!!!" He exclaims.

Kyla slowly turns to Ebony with a look of disapproval.

Ebony shrugs. "I am an enthusiastic instructor."

"That is overkill, Ebony." Kyla says, unhappily.

Kyla looks at the exhausted students and then back to Ebony. "I purpose a compromise."

Ebony crosses her arms. "Go on."

"I beat you, in a battle, and you graduate the students." Kyla says, pulling out a Pokeball.