Part 2, Chapter 23. Guardians of the Sky and Sea.

Kyla, Pidgeot, and Mega Gardevior head off towards Silver Cave, which is west of Route 45. Upon reaching the entrance to the cave, Lugia slowly emerges, badly burnt and glaring at them.

"What do you want, human?" Lugia's voice echos through their minds.

Kyla's eyes go wide. "I was not aware you were a psychic type!"

Lugia struggles to walk, as he looms over them. "This is why I steer clear of trainers. I asked a question, and I expect a proper answer."

Kyla clears her throat. "We.. have been noticing a little dispute between you and Ho-Oh..."

"A 'little dispute', you say?!" Lugia interrupts. "That hot head is on the hunt."

"What is he hunting for?" Kyla asks.

Lugia relaxes and sits down. "His tower, his home, was distoryed by another fire Pokemon, or so he believes. He is searching for that Pokemon to enact his revenge."

Kyla crosses her arms. "If that is the case, why is that any of your concern?"

Lugia leans his head down to Kyla, coming within inches of her. "This is my region. Ho-Oh has no claim to it. His territory is the sky. Just because the Pokemon League felt it necessary to build him a tower, without consulting me nor doing the same for me, does not make this region his home."

Mega Gardevior moves Kyla back and gets between them. "I would appreciate it if you did not get so close to Lady Kyla."

Lugia rears his head back, looking away. "My.. apologies. I am not use to humans, nor do I hold any compassion for them."

"I can tell." Gardevior replies. "But this is my trainer, whom I dearly love. Her safety is my top concern."

Lugia glances back at her. "Are you not a slave to your trainer?"

Gardevior looks very upsetted by this remark. "Lady Kyla is a fantastic trainer, compassionate, and supportive." Gardevior looks back at Kyla. "She actually worries more about my safety than I do about her's."

Kyla steps forward again, putting her arm on Gardevior's shoulder. "My team is my family. There is not a single moment I do not worry about their well being, even in the heat of battle."

Lugia looks into Gardevior's eyes, seeing the trust and love reflected in them. He then leans his head down and sniffs Kyla.

"Are you intentionally trying to provoke me, Lugia?!" Gardevior exclaims.

Lugia retracts his head again, with a smile. "No no. Be at ease. This is just my way of recognizing a trainer as worthy. Now that I know your scent, Lady Kyla, I can ensure your safety in my presents."

Kyla smiles. "I understand. But how are we going to handle Ho-Oh."

Lugia looks surprised. "You wish to oppose him?!"

Kyla puts her hands on her hips. "The way I see it, we need a compromise. Ho-Oh's actions may endanger the lives of countless Pokemon and trainers. I honestly wouldn't like to get into a full blown battle with him, but..."

Chaz pops out of his Pokeball, with a enthusiastic roar.

Kyla laughs, weaving her arms into Gardevior and Chaz's arms. "My team is more than capable, and have my back through anything."

Lugia looks at Chaz, turning his head slightly. "You are an odd one."

Chaz stares back, lightly offended by being called odd.

"Don't get me wrong. It is not an insult. But I have never seen a Pokemon emerge from their Pokeball without permission." Lugia says, curiously.

Chaz grunts back, explaining the reasons for his actions.