35.The ugly truth

Jess pov

Winter Ball is finally here. I am in my off shoulder navy dress and sitting on my bed, waiting for Dylan to pick me up. I heard a car pulled over in the front yard. Is that Dylan? I went and looked from the window. It wasn't him and I was surprised when I saw the person who got out of the car. My dad.

I went downstairs and was greeted by my father. "You look wonderful, Jessie," dad grinned. "What are you doing here?" I questioned. "He is here for his works. He's just passing by," mom interrupted. "As if I was summoned here from college for nothing?" Gwen came in. What is she doing here? She should be in college. "Gwen? What're you doing here?" mom asked in surprised. "Sorry, if this seems surprise to all of you. I'm taking my grandson back," dad announced and our eyes widen. "How? Legally, Sofia isn't even his mother," Gwen shrugged. "We have to face Anna Brown," mom remarked. Anna is Sofia's mom, she's the press secretary of the Mayor and she is a total bitch. "We will go and talk to them," dad announced. "If anything goes wrong, I'll talk to my lawyer," he continued. "Thank you," mom nodded. I still don't get it. Are we gonna take Liam away from Sofia? I thought we were going to ask her to let us stay in part of Liam's life.

Dad left and went to his car. Gwen followed. "Jess, I know it's urgent but I want you to come with us," mom stated. "What? What about the ball?" I asked in confused. "We will take you to school after this. Tell Dylan to meet up there," she ordered before following dad. I groaned and texted Dylan to meet at school. I had no choice but to go with my family.

Shawn pov

I'm in front of Sofia's house.I'm picking her up for the ball while Owen is picking Eva up from her house. After they rejected their dates from Empire, we've decided to go together. All four of us. "Hello dear, you must be Shawn. Come on in," a middle age woman smiled as she opened the door. Liam was in her arms. "I'm Anna and Sofia's mom. And this is her little brother, Liam," she continued as we took a seat in the living room. Liam was smiling at me from his grandmom's arms. "Mom, I need your help!" Sofia's yelled from upstairs. "I guess I'm needed. Could you please hold him for a second? I'll be back," Anna said as she handed Liam to me and then went upstairs. I looked at Liam. He is exactly like Scott. No wonder Jess wanted to see him so much. Suddenly, my mind went to Jess. I've heard that she's going to the ball with Dylan. I even saw how he had asked her out with a grand ceremony. I feel jealous and powerless that I could do nothing about that. Do I like Jess? Why am I feeling this way? Part of me want to go to the ball with Jess, want to hold her and dance with her till our feet are tired. And yet part of me know that Jess is nothing but a selfish bad girl and no one could change her.

While I was lost in my thoughts, I heard a knock on the door. I picked Liam up and went to opened the door. A well-dressed man and a blonde woman were standing in the front porch with their eyes wide. Behind them was Gwen, Jess's sister. What is she doing here? Suddenly, Liam cried out in my arms.

"Is that him?" the woman whispered, her eyes were filled with tears. I tried to calm Liam down. "Are you Sofia's boyfriend?" a man asked and before I have time to reply, Sofia and Anna came downstairs. A loud gasp came from Sofia. "Anna, we're here to talk," the man stated. "I don't want any of you here!" Anna yelled as Sofia took Liam from me. He stopped crying as soon as he was in Sofia's arms. And Jess finally came out of the car. She looked guilty. I realized who they were.

"Please Anna, don't make this any harder," Jess's mom pleaded and her dad nodded. "Can we come inside?" Gwen asked and Anna sighed, letting everyone in.

It was awkward. Jess' parents sat on the sofa with Gwen. Across the table was Anna and Sofia with Liam in her arms. Jess stood near her parents while I stood in front of her. "I think I need to take the baby outside while you talk," Gwen said as she walked to Sofia. Sofia glared at her. "Please, you know I have no intention to hurt him," Gwen stated and took Liam upstairs. "You're making the children miss the ball," Anna snapped, crossing her arms. "We just want to talk," Jess's mom stated. "What is this?" Anna smirked. "Don't tell me you're going to pay a child support, we're perfectly capable of it," she continued. "I know. There's no denial that we're more stable and we can provide the best future for him," Mr.Maxwell said. "What do you mean?" Sofia asked with worried. "Scott was the heir of my company. Initially, it will pass down to my other son but since Liam is here, the company will pass down to him," he answered. "And I want my grandson to have the best environment for him," he continued.

"You're taking him away from us," Sofia glared. "Honey, you can't even live as his mom and how can you're so sure that he would get the best if he'd stayed with you?" Jess's mom interrupted. "Excuse me, we're not the one whose son killed himself just because being a broken teenager was too much. Can you make sure that Liam won't become like his father?" Anna snapped. "MOM!" Sofia stopped her but It was too late when we heard a loud gasp from Jess. "What?" Jess muttered. "What does she mean? mom? dad?" Jess turned and asked her parents who were both quite. "Answer me!" Jess yelled as tears slipped through her eyes. "Jess," her mom said. "Your brother killed himself that night. He left us a message that it was all too much for him," her dad sighed. "No. You're lying. You're all lying!" Jess shook her head and ran away. "Jess!" I called her as I followed her.