37.The Final Match

Shawn pov

The winter has finally come and so is the winter break. Before that, we have one final match against with the Eastwood High for the National Lacrosse Championship. I haven't seen Jess since the accident. It's like she's been avoiding me. Or maybe she never wanted me to learn about her family, especially Scott.

"Hey, excited for tonight?" Sofia asked as she sat beside me at the cafeteria. Owen and Eva were also there. She was right. Tonight is the final match. And I should be totally prepared.

"Yeah, kind of," I shrugged. "OMG, the devil finally got it's match!" Eve blurted out as her eyes locked on her phone. "What is it?" Owen asked in surprised. "Dylan is going to ask Jess out after the match," Eva explained. "It's like all over the school," she continued. Is Jess going to go out with him? For some unknown reasons, I felt jealous.

"I feel bad for them," Sofia shook her head. "Why? I thought they're best friends," I snapped. "Dude, why with the long face?" Own questioned. "What?" I retorted. "You seem pissed," Sofia added and then I realized I was acting like a kid. "No! I'm not pissed." I shrugged. "I'm just excited for tonight and that's all," I muttered. "I gotta go, bye," I announced as I went home early. I have to prepare for tonight's game.

"Hey bud, is the final game tonight?" dad entered my room while I was looking at the photo of Carter and I. "Yeah,"I answered and dad sat beside me. "It's not your fault," dad stated. "You wanted him to be happy and you did it," he continued. "I'm glad you are able to play lacrosse again," he gave me a pat on the shoulder before he left downstairs. I tried to stay focus but I kept thinking about Jess. Is she going to go out with him? I'm worried.

Night has come and so is the game. I was in the changing room with Brad and the rest of the team. "Hey Dylan, I've heard you're gonna ask our Jessie out," Cameron asked. "These rumors has started since this morning, is that true?" Brad added. "I don't know. I'm worried about her," Dylan shrugged. "Dude, you and Jess has been friends since you were kids. You know each other very well, I don't seen any problem if you go out," Max stated and the boys nodded with him. "And what do you think Shawn?" Dylan smirked. "It doesn't matter," I said. " Of course, it matters. You're the one why Jess is hesitating," he glared at me. "What does that mean?" Brad asked in confusion. Dylan slammed the door of his locker before he went outside. "God, I hate drama," Max sighed as he followed Cameron who was already walking out of the room. "So, Jess huh?" Brad questioned. "I haven't figured it out yet," I sighed. "I hate to see my friends fighting over a girl but Jess is also my friend. It'd be nice if she doesn't get tangle in your fight," he continued. "She already got her plate full of troubles," he added before we walked to the fields.

"Hey," Sofia smiled at me, standing in front of the field. Brad left the two of us alone and went to join the team. "Hey," I smiled back. "Excited?" she asked and I nodded. "I have something for you," she muttered before giving me a kiss on my cheek. My eyes got widen. "I like you Shawn," Sofia stated and I was speechless. "I have liked you since the day you'd saved me from the mean girls," she continued. "And I'm sorry for making you surprise like this. We can talk about this later. And also good luck!" she said as she ran back into the crowd.

"That was sweet," someone remarked and I know her voice. I turned back and saw Jess in her cheerleading outfit. She looks cool as usual. "I can explain, Sofia and-," I shrugged. "I just want to say thank you for saving me from that accident," she cut me off. "Sofia is my friend!" I said looking into her eyes. "Why are you telling me? I thought we barely hang out," she smirked. "You would make a great couple," she continued. "And also please take care of my nephew if you were dating her," she added and her eyes were cold as usual but I could feel they were hurting. "Good luck," she said as she turned her back to walk away but I grabbed her hand, spin her around and kissed her lips. To my surprise, she kissed me back. Our lips moved in sync as the world stopped around us. It was only the two of us, sharing a sweet kiss while people were preparing for the game. "You really know how to make girls sworn over you, hero," Jess smirked as we broke the kiss.

"I just want you to explain that Sofia is just my friend but you kept talking," I shrugged and Jess punched my shoulder. "Ough!" I screamed in pain. "You're lucky because the game is about to start, I will deal with you later," she glared at me. "Lucky me," I smiled as Jess walked to the field. I know I am a jerk but I have a game to win.