City Of Love

October 2017

Jenni's POV:

I watched Alexia kick a ball around. 

"Hey!" Vicky jogged over. "What's going on?"

"She's acting like I'm not even here." 

"Well you are here and we need you to focus. These game count." 

"I know." I nodded. "I'm ready." 

Alexia's POV:

"So what exactly happened?" Virginia asked.

"She signed with PSG."

"And?"

"And she left."

"That's it?" Leila covered her mouth. "You haven't talked to her in a month because she sighed for PSG?"

"It's more than that, Virginia. You don't understand."

"Then help me understand."

"Leave me alone!" 

Everyone at practice stopped. 

"Everything ok over here?" Jorge asked.

"Fine." Virginia said.

"No. It's not. I need a minute." I walked off the field. 

Jenni's POV:

"Go talk to her." Marta said.

"I'm the last person she wants to hear from." I put my head down. "Someone else go." 

"Not it." Leila mumbled. 

"Really?" Mapi hit her. 

"She'll be fine." Vicky said. "Everyone just give her some space." 

We got back to practice and no one said another word about Alexia. 

She ended up not returning. 

Alexia's POV:

Back in Barcelona.

Where I belong. 

Camp was horrible. We won the games but knowing that Jenni and everyone were watching. I couldn't do it. Now everyone wanted to know what happened.

Jenni still tries to text and call.

"Alexia." Leila sat next to me. "Can you do me a favor?" 

"I'm not talking to Jenni."

"Ok? I don't care if you do or don't." I smiled. "Mariona's birthday is soon. Can you help me plan a small party for her? Within the team."

"For Mariona? Of course."

We met with the team and everyone was laughing and having a good time together. 

It brought back memories.

2015

"Jenni go!"

"No, I'm not going!" She laughed.

"Come on Jenni." I grabbed her hand.

"Fine."

"She does it when Alexia says too!" Virginia laughed as Leila made a whip sound. 

"Quiet you two."

"You are going to be lost without me." Virginia smiled.

"Like you'd ever leave Barca." Jenni laughed. "Who wants to leave?" She looked at me. "Barca is my home." 

"Ok gross we're being too nice. I'm going to get more food."

"I'll join you." Leila got up. They both left the room.

"Did you mean it? Barca is home?" I asked her.

"Home is wherever you are." She kissed the top of my head. "And right now, that's here in Barcelona. So I'm not leaving anytime soon."

Just 2 years after saying that, she left.

I sighed and looked at the picture of us. "You said you weren't leaving. And then you did. You didn't even tell me."

Jenni's POV:

October 2018 

"And I told her that I was not going to dress like that because it was stupid. Halloween is for scary costumes." I laughed. 

"We're really close to another World Cup." I shook my head. "Time is flying."

"Yeah. Time is flying. For example, it's really been a year since you talked to her." 

"When you try every day with no response you eventually give up. She made it very clear that she wants nothing to do with me." 

"I don't believe that." Christiane said. "I know you don't either."

"No offense but if you tell me to give it time I'm leaving. I texted and called her for 6 months with no response. She unfollowed me on everything and won't acknowledge me. Leila called me on my birthday and the whole team was screaming. Leila said, "Alex come say happy birthday to Jenni!" Alexia said "who's birthday? There isn't a birthday today." and that right there was it." 

"Maybe she forgot?"

"Alexia never forgot Jenni's birthday." Irene said. "Even if her mind was erased she'd still remember Jenni's birthday."

I smiled. "Because they can erase my mind but not my heart." I whispered.

"Guess it's just time to move on my friend." Christiane sighed.

"She may want nothing to do with me, but I can't move on. There's nothing, no one that will ever be what she is."

I got up and looked out at the city.

Paris, the city of love.

Yet my heart is broken.