All My Fault

While trying to regain control of my life, I sat down and wrote a few things. This is something I wrote.

Thank you for all the love and support.

Words can't even cover how much I appreciate it.

Thank you.

January 2032

Alexia's POV:

I saw my phone light up.

Mariana

I sighed and muted the call.

"Hey babe?" Jenni walked in. "I have to head in early today. The boys are your responsibility." She kissed my cheek.

My phone went off again.

Mariana

I sighed again and muted it. "Why aren't you answering?" Jenni looked at me.

"I just think me and Mariana need some space from each other. She's about to have a baby and WE need to figure out our future after football."

"Actually," She sat down. "that's why I'm going in early. I've been talking with the board members and Leila. Leila is going to coach our academy team RIGHT NOW. But she said whenever you're ready to retire, she'd be honored to be your assistant coach. The board already has the paperwork ready. When you say it's time, the job is yours. If you want it?"

"Really? Do you think it's a good idea?"

"Ale, you know the game better than anyone. I know I want to continue to see Barcelona dominate women's football. Spain too. With you coaching the future generations how could we not dominate?" She smiled. "Coach Putellas. Now that sounds incredible to me."

"I'll think about it. Now get out of here before you're late." I pushed her.

"I love you, coach Putellas." She smirked.

"I love you too." I laughed. 

I looked down at my phone. 

5 missed calls

Mariana

I cleared the notification and got up. "Maxi! Enzo! It's breakfast time!" 

Jenni's POV:

"She hasn't talked to Mariana at all?" Leila asked locking her car.

"At all." I filled her in on some of our argument. "I didn't think she'd stop talking to Mariana completely."

"Well, I'm seeing Mariana in a few days. So maybe I can see what's going on." She smiled. 

I opened the door for her. "After you, coach."

"Oh thank you, dumbass." She walked inside.

"No. I'm a coach too!" I followed her.

"Not to me." She continued to walk.

We got Leila sorted with the academy and then I went to meet with the team before practice. Over the next few days, Alexia still wasn't talking to Mariana.

As I headed to the conference room, I saw Alexia and walked towards her. "I think you should call Mariana. I know it's bugging you. It's bugging Mariana too, Mapi asked if I knew anything. Please at least just fill her in on what's going on. She'll understand you needing space."

She nodded. "Fine." She grabbed her phone and walked away.

Alexia's POV:

"You've reached Mariana. I can't get the phone now but leave a message I'll probably text you instead!" 

I shook my head and then left my message. "Hey Mari, um I'm sorry I haven't been answering your calls. Jenni and I had a fight and I've been trying to figure out the future. I always go to you and never go to Jenni. Anyway, I just think we need some space right now. I'll talk to you later." I hung up. 

As I started to walk to the locker room my phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Need some space? What the fuck, Ale!"

"Mari." I sighed. 

"No. Don't "Mari" me what the hell? We've been there for each other for everything. What now because you and Jenni had a fight we can't talk anymore?"

"That's not what I'm saying."

"I've been worried this whole time thinking I did something that hurt our friendship. I'm about to have a baby soon, Alexia. Instead, I'm worried about our friendship? Fine. You want space? Have your space. I hope you figure it all out." She hung up.

I sighed and headed to our team meeting. I saw Mariona and sat down. "Hey." I smiled.

"Hey Ale." She laughed. "You alright?"

"I will be."

Jenni's POV:

"Alright. This is a big game so let's get right to it." I walked in. As I started going over the tactics, an assistant walked in. "What?"

"Leila called. Mapi needs to go to the hospital right now." He whispered.

"Ok." I nodded. "Mapi, you're excused."

"What?" She looked at me.

"Just go, Mapi." I said. "Hurry." Mapi ran out of the room with the assistant. Everyone waited. "Ok I know we're all confused. Leila called. If you don't know, Mariana is pregnant. If you don't know Mariana, she's a former Barca player and also Mapi's wife. She's pregnant right now and it's been rough. Leila called. Something happened, Mariana is in the hospital. That's why Mapi needed to leave. Now I know some of you," I looked at Alexia. "are friends with Mariana. Which is why I will be ending this meeting now. If you want to go to the hospital, go ahead but be respectful. If you aren't going to go, send lots of love and positive thoughts their way. Thank you." I nodded.

Everyone got up and left. "Something happened to Mariana." Alexia said. 

"Yeah. I don't know what. They just said Leila called." I shrugged. "We should go."

"It's my fault." She whispered. "We fought when I called her. It's all my fault." 

I got Alexia to the car and saw Mariona, Patri, and Sandra following us. "Get in the car." I said. We drove to the hospital. "Patri. Call Virginia, please. Tell her to get to the hospital. Quickly." 

"I will." Patri said.

We got to the hospital and Leila texted us where to go. We saw Mapi outside the room. Her and Leila were talking.

"Because she has to convince herself that. Mapi, you want her to think that it won't?"

"I want her to fight. I can't lose her!" Mapi said. 

"Lose who?" Alexia said. "We came as soon as we could. Jenni ended practice early when she heard it was Mariana. What's going on?"

Mapi shook her head.

"The baby is in distress." Leila looked at us. "They have Mariana on oxygen and fluids right now, but if this doesn't work they'll need to do an emergency c-section."

"So what's the problem then?" I asked.

"She doesn't want that." Mapi said.

"What happens then?" Patri stepped forward.

"They lose the baby." Leila said. "And Mariana."

I looked at Alexia. A tear rolled down her cheek. "No." Alexia shook her head. "Mapi. She's lying."

"Mariana's weak." Mapi whispered. "This pregnancy it," She sighed. "it took everything out of her. Especially these last few weeks. Ale, I tried to change her mind. She won't. I can't lose her. Ale, I can't." Alexia wrapped her arms around Mapi. "Please."

"I'll talk to her." Alexia said. "I will, Mapi." She turned to me. 

I nodded. Mapi walked over to me as Alexia went into the room. "I got you, Mapi. I got you." I rubbed her back.