Never Doing It

Jenni's POV:

Rapinoe celebrated and I stood there shaking my head. "That's not a penalty!" I looked at the ref. "Where's VAR? HUH!"

"Hey." Virginia grabbed me. "Let's relax. There's enough time for us to tie it. It's early." 

She was right. A few minutes after, I got an opportunity and scored. Tying the game at 1.

I ran and looked at my teammates as they ran after me. Alexia got to me first and jumped on me. I smiled as her hands grabbed my shoulders.

"Come on!" Alexia yelled. "We got this." We met eyes and she looked away quickly.

The game remained tied until the ref gave the US another penalty.

"What!"  Virginia walked to the ref. Mapi threw her hands up.

"You're joking." Alexia sighed and walked toward the ref.

"VAR!" Lucia yelled.

The ref went to look at it again but stuck by her decision. Rapinoe scored the penalty and celebrated.

Alexia's POV:

I sat on the bench and put my head down. The game ended.

2-1 to the USA.

Two penalties. 

I watched the US players jump around and celebrate.

Christen Press walked over to Jenni. 

"Good game." One of the players tried to grab my hand. I pulled my hand away and turned to Virginia. 

"This is ridiculous." 

She kept shaking her head. 

We all huddled together, disappointed in how the game went. The World Cup was over for us. Now we focus on the Euros. 

Heading to the locker room was tough. Knowing that our tournament was done hurt.

"Alexia!" I looked up.  

"Samantha?" I walked over. "What are you doing here?"

"I came to photograph you guys during the tournament. But now I guess that's over huh?" She smiled. "You guys deserved to win."

"Well, when you play against the United States." She smiled. "We should get together soon. When are you back in Barcelona?"

"I'm staying for the final. I'll be back in Barcelona around the middle of July."

I nodded. "You know where to find me."

"I sure do." She smiled. "It was nice to see you, Alexia."

Jenni's POV:

"You too. I'll see you soon." Alexia hugged a photographer and walked away.

"Who's that?" I asked Mariona.

"Samantha Cortés. Photographer. She follows Barca around. Pretty cool person."

I walked by and looked at her.

"Great goal Jenni!" 

"Thanks." I glared. 

"Stop that." Lola grabbed my arm and dragged me away.

"Stop what?"

"Killing her in your mind." 

We got back to the hotel and I saw Laura.

"Come here." She opened her arms. I hugged her and knew I had to do something.

"Can we talk."