Strong

January 2032

Alexia's POV:

I saw Virginia and sighed. "Vir. Come sit with me." She walked over and sat down. "If Mariana doesn't make you, you can't be done with Mapi."

"What?"

"Those kids will need all of us. Mapi will need us. I'll be upset if Jenni comes back out here and tells me that Mariana is gone. But I'll stay by Mapi's side. I love those kids. If you walk away, you'll lose the pieces of Mariana that are left." I turned to her. "Her children."

She looked down. "I don't want to start a family with Nahi if one of my best friends is missing." She whispered. 

"She'd never really be gone. Let's face it, we'll haunt each other." She laughed. "Whichever one of us goes first? We're getting haunted." The doors opened and Jenni walked out. "What happened?" I sat up. I felt Virginia grab my hand.

"The nurse came to get Mapi. The baby is safe. She's ok."

"And Mariana?" Virginia stood up.

"They're still working on her. She's very weak." She nodded. "Mapi broke down. I guess when they picked the name, they used Mariana's brother's name. He was supposed to look over them."

"Is she going to be ok?" Virginia asked.

"We don't know." Jenni shook her head. "Hopefully we'll have an update soon. I think you both should come back up. Mapi needs all of us. And so do those kids."

"We'll be right up." I said. "Just give us a minute." Jenni nodded and went back inside. I turned to Virginia. "She's right you know."

"Hell just froze over." Vir mumbled. "You agreed with Jenni."

"Mariana is going to pull through, Vir."

"How do you know that?" She looked at me. "How do you honestly know that?"

"Because she's pulled through everything else! Felicia? She pulled through. Getting shot? She survived. She's been through so much. This isn't going to be the end." 

"How."

"Because if it ends like this, I won't be able to live with myself." I sighed. "We had a fight before." I told her about the phone call. "Next thing you know we're here. I tried to talk her into the surgery which just resulted in more arguing. So, I NEED her to pull through this. So that I can tell her how much I love her. How much I need her in my life."

Jenni's POV:

Alexia and Virginia came back to the waiting room. Nahikari immediately wrapped her arms around Virginia. 

Alexia looked around. "Where's Mapi?" 

"With the baby." I said. 

"Have you seen her?" 

I shook my head. "I don't think I can see her till Mariana does." I looked down. "As crazy as it sounds. The parents always see the baby first. I can wait till Mariana does."

"And if Mariana doesn't get to see her?" Virginia said.

"She will, Vir." I said. "One way or another, she'll see that baby."

Virginia shook her head. "I don't get how you guys can be so sure she'll be fine."

"If you don't believe that, you don't know your best friend that well." I leaned back. "When has Mariana ever given up? That girl takes everything as a challenge. And she doesn't like to lose."

"That's why her and Mapi are so perfect together." Leila laughed then wiped a tear away. "Yeah Mariana, I'll meet you there in 10 minutes."

"I'll be there in 5." Patri said. They started laughing. "We're sure she'll be fine cause it's Mariana."

We continued to sit and wait. Then we heard footsteps. "It's Lola." Mariona said. 

"Mapi just got news from the nurse. They brought her to Mariana's room, then she came back to see me and the baby."

"How is the little on?" Alexia asked.

"She's beautiful." Lola smiled. 

"Mariana's room?" Carmen asked. "Mariana is ok?"

"Yes and no." Lola sighed. "She's out of surgery but she's still very weak. They're keeping her sedated, hopefully, that will allow her body to fully recover from not only the surgery but the pregnancy."

"What happens now?" Alexia asked.

"We wait. Hope Mariana regains her strength so they can ease off the sedatives little by little." She sat next to Carmen. 

"And the baby?" Virginia asked.

"Here for 2 more weeks then she can go home."

"It's all hands on deck then." I said and looked down at Gabriel. "You hear that kid?"

He nodded. "Big brother is ready." 

"Want to go see your new sister?" Lola asked.

"Can I see Mapi first?"

Lola nodded. "Of course." She held her hand out and they left.

I looked at Virginia. "You ok now?" 

She looked down. "I'll be ok when Mariana wakes up."

"When? Not if?" I smirked.

She shrugged. "I was so worried I forgot this is Mariana dos Santos Mendes. She's a fighter." 

I looked at Alexia. "She is. And she's got the biggest heart. So when she's awake and ready, you two will be fine." I whispered. She nodded. "And she'll be upset that you blamed yourself for this."

February 2032

Alexia's POV:

I woke up and looked around. Jenni's side of the bed was empty. 

She was already awake.

I got up and get ready for the day. When I went to the kitchen, there was no one. There was a note on the counter.

Took the boys to the field. We won't be gone long. Figured I'd let you sleep in. You deserve the rest. 

I smiled and looked around. I quickly ate then grabbed my keys.

I know where to go. 

After parking, I headed inside and went to the desk. "Visiting again?" The receptionist smiled.

"I will visit as much as I can." I said. "Hopefully it won't be here."

I went to the room and went inside. "Hello." The nurse said. "I'm just checking a few things don't mind me." 

"Take your time. As long as she's ok." I sat down. "She is ok, right?"

"We've seen big improvements." She said.

"Good." I grabbed her hand. The nurse finished up and left. I sat and just held her hand. "I don't know if you can hear me or not. They say you can, but if you can't I'll be saying this for the rest of our lives." I sighed. "I'm sorry, Mariana. When I said I needed some space, I didn't mean end up in the hospital." I shook my head. "But I can't lose you. None of us can. So if you can hear me, you come back to us soon ok? You need to meet your little girl. She is perfect. And Mapi? Mapi won't let anyone else help with her. She said Jordana is her full responsibility. We've all stepped up though. Those kids of yours. They're incredible. Especially Gabriel. You already knew that though."

I sat with her for a while till my phone went off.

Jenni

We just got home. Where are you?

I got up and looked at Mariana. "I should head home. I'll come see you tomorrow." I leaned forward and kissed her forehead. "Love you, Mari."

I walked out of the room and headed home.

Jenni was waiting for me when I got there. "You went to see Mariana?" She asked. I nodded. "How is she?" 

I walked towards her and hugged her. "I just want her to come home."