Connected

January 2028

Alexia's POV:

"We're going to see your aunt Mapi today. And Mariana who will now be your honorary big sister." Jenni said to Maxi. I laughed. "You are going to love both of them. Mapi looks scary but trust me, she's a big softie. Now Mariana is the best. As you grow up if you ever want to talk to someone who isn't your parent, Mariana is the best person for the job." 

I smiled. "You ready?" 

"Yep." She put him in the car seat. We drove to the hospital and went to see Mariana. "There's the new mom." Jenni smiled. "How are you feeling?" 

"Better." Mariana said. "Where is he?" She smiled. "Show me baby Putellas!" I put him on the bed and she looked him. "He kind of looks like Natalia's brother, Leon." She stared at him. I turned to Jenni. "Or maybe all men look the same. I don't know. I don't pay attention to them. He's adorable!" 

"He's got his mother's everything." Jenni said. "Thank god. Imagine if he was all me? Poor kid."

"Jenni you're a solid 6 and a half." Virginia walked in. "Now listen up a 14 is talking. Yes, I used my jersey number." She smirked. "The nurse told me that it's time for Mariana to begin breastfeeding."

"Yeah. So get out." Mapi walked in. "Even you two. No one is looking at my wife's," She thought about it. "Boobs." She smiled proudly."

"My wife has the mind of a 13-year-old boy." 

We went outside and left Mariana alone. Mapi came out a few minutes later. "Parenthood." Jenni smiled. 

We all stood there talking. "So what's next?" Lola asked.

"I think the biggest question is who's next?" I crossed my arms. "We had a kid, now Mapi and Mariana have a kid, who's next?"

I noticed Carmen look away. "Um. Not it." Leila said.

"I'm not even married so, hard pass." Virginia took a step back. Nahikari laughed and reached for her hand. 

"You two are quiet?" I looked at Lola and Carmen.

"Hmm?" Carmen looked at us.

"Where did we lose you?" Mapi asked.

"I've been gone since we came outside." Carmen answered.

"It is true. You really do become one when you get married." Virginia joked. 

February 2028

Jenni's POV:

"Diapers?"

"Check." 

"Bottles?"

"Check." I smiled. "We're all set."

There was a knock on the door. "I got it." Alexia walked over. "Leon? Hey, come in." 

I looked up. "Leon. What brings you here?"

"Just checking in. Seeing how you guys were doing?" 

"We're good." Alexia smiled. "I heard Nat is engaged now?"

"Yeah. That was a ride." He laughed. "They broke up and then boom. Engaged. How's the baby?"

"He's good." I smiled. "We had a little scare but he's perfect. Thank you so much, again."

"You never have to thank me. It was my pleasure. I'm happy I could help you guys. If you ever need anything again please just let me know."

"We will. What brings you here?"

"Well, I'm moving back to Italy. Madrid was fun, but I think it's time to go home." He smiled.

"You met someone didn't you?"

"I did." He laughed. "I don't know if you guys know, but I am bi. I've dated many girls but never felt anything strong. I went back to Roma a year ago, ran into an old friend of mine. We started talking again and we're dating. He asked me to move in with him. I'm going back to Roma and that's what I'm going to do. I wanted to see the baby, just to remind myself that I am capable of good things." 

Alexia went to get the baby.

"My teens and early 20s were horrible. You can ask Nat if you want, but I did things that looking back on I shouldn't have. They helped me grow into the man I am now. The man that helped two people he didn't know that well start a family, helped my sister when she felt the world was collapsing on her and will now move back to the country he never really felt was home to be with the man he loves. That child, that life I helped create."

Alexia came in holding him. "This is Maxi." She said. 

"Your past isn't going to define you, Leon." I said. "When I look at my son I'm going to remember the great man who helped us. That's you. We were strangers. Our friend knows your sister, but now we're connected." 

"Also, I got this for him." Leon gave me a small bag. "I know he probably has Madrid and Barcelona. But I wanted him to have that too." 

I reached into the bag and pulled out a small Roma jersey. "Look how small it is." I looked at Alexia. "Don't you just love baby stuff?"

"She really enjoys the size of baby clothes."

"It's so cute." I whispered to myself. 

Leon hung out for a while then he left. I looked at Jenni. "I want to do something for him. He helped us have our son. I want to do something." 

"Like what?" 

"I don't know. We'll figure it out."

Leon is how Nat and Daan's story will remain connected to this book. But Nat and Mariana's friendship will keep it all with the main storyline.

What should Jenni and Alexia do for Leon?