Give Her Time

June 2019

Jenni's POV:

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Nahikari looked at my arm.

"It's healing and it's in a cast. Doctor said I'm fine to play as long as I take it easy."

"Ok, but what if someone slides to tackle you?"

"We'll kill them." Virginia smiled. "Good to have you with us."

I laughed. "If they wanted me to miss the World Cup they should've killed me." 

I saw Alexia shake her head. 

"How's that going?" Virginia whispered.

I shrugged. "I'll let you know when I know." 

"Jenni." Mapi ran over. "Can I talk to you. Alone?"

"Sure." We walked away from the team. 

"I just want to apologize for your arm."

"Why? It was a good tackle. You got the ball, I jumped over you and landed on my arm. Nothing was your fault." 

"I know but if I didn't slide in you wouldn't have jumped."

"And your team probably would've been eliminated from the Champions League. Look Mapi. We play a tough game. I don't expect you to hold back when playing against me and I certainly hope you don't hold back during these games."

"Are we ok?"

"Everything that happened with me and Alexia was hard. Knowing she has people like you on her side? Makes me feel better. You look out for your friends and I respect that. I screwed up, Mapi."

"You really did. How are you going to fix it?"

"I don't know if this will get fixed." 

Alexia's POV:

I stood in the tunnel before the game against South Africa. I turned around and saw Jenni. "How's the arm?"

"Better." She answered. "Doesn't bother me anymore."

I turned to fully face her. "I know what you're going to say but just listen to me. Please be careful." She opened her mouth. "Yes, I know. You will be, but don't go into anything without thinking. We need you." I closed my eyes. "I need you." I whispered.

She smiled and leaned to whisper in my ear. "I can't give you forever, but I'll give you right now." 

I closed my eyes and turned around. "I wanted forever then." I said. "But if right now is all I can get," I faced ahead as we started walking. "I'll take it." 

Jenni's POV:

We stood together as the anthem played. I put my arm around Alexia and listened. I felt her hand on my waist and smiled. 

As our anthem ended, she let go and moved away from me. 

South Africa's anthem played and they headed down the line. 

We huddled together and listened to Marta, our captain.

No one's POV:

"We are about to get underway here from Le Havre. Many people are surprised to see Jenni Hermoso not only on the roster but starting in the match today. She did suffer a broken arm back in April. She does have a cast on it, as we get a good shot of her there."

Jenni stood at midfield and waited for the South African player to get them underway.

Alexia's POV:

We were down 1-0. 

The first half was getting closer to the end and we did not show up at all. 

I watched as Jenni was on the ball. One of the South African players got close to her, and Jenni went down. The whistle was blown, but Jenni wasn't up yet. 

"Hey!" I ran over. 

"Alexia." Virginia grabbed me. 

"Let go." I bend down and put my hand on Jenni's back. "Are you ok?"

"Just twisted my ankle." She rolled over on her back. "That wasn't fun. Let's not do that again."

I laughed and put my hand out. "Come on. Get up we got a game to play." She took my hand and I got her to her feet. She reached down and grabbed her ankle and limped off. 

The first half ended and we were all disappointed.

We knew we needed to be better.

As we sat at our lockers, Jorge went over to Jenni. "We're going to take you out."

"No." She said. "No, I feel fine. My arm is fine don't take me out."

"If they go after you again."

"Let them." She glared at him. "I'm not sitting down right now." He looked at me. "Don't look at her. She's not my babysitter."

"I'm actually on your side here." I looked at her. "Give her a few more minutes. We're going to score. I feel it." 

"Fine. But when I say you're done. You're done." Jenni nodded and Jorge left. 

"Thanks." She whispered. "For having my back."

"I meant what I said." I looked around the locker room and whispered. "We need you, Jenni." She nodded. "So do I." 

"Let's go get that goal back." She smiled. 

"Lead the way." 

Jenni's POV: 

"Handball!" I yelled. The ref blew the whistle and we were awarded a penalty.

"Who's taking it?" Virginia asked.

I looked down at the ball and turned to the keeper. 

"I'm taking it."  

"Here." Alexia ran over and picked up the ball. She put it in my hand. "You good?

"Yeah. Perfect." I smiled. "Thanks."

She put her hand on my shoulder. "Score this." 

"I plan too." She ran off. 

Alexia's POV:

Jenni ran up and took the shot. It hit the back of the net and we had life. She ran to get the ball as everyone ran towards her. 

I ran over and grabbed the ball, as she was struggling, and ran back to midfield.

We looked over at the bench. Nahikari was up. 

"It's for me isn't it?" Jenni asked.

"Wait and see." I said. "Just keep playing." 

The game went on. We had more chances but couldn't score.

Jenni went after the ball and collided with one of the South African players. Jenni was fine but the other player stayed down. I walked over to talk to the ref. 

"Your arm ok?" Virginia looked at Jenni.

"Getting a little bit sore."

"I think you should sit out." I said. "We'll take it from here."

We looked over at the bench where Nahikari stood. The 4th official had a board ready.