Always Count On

April 2025

Jenni's POV:

"I'm so sorry for your loss." The doctor said.

I held Alexia. "It's ok." I whispered to her. "It will be ok. We'll have our child. I know we will." I kissed the top of her head. 

"Can you call Leon? I don't think I can."

"Of course." I nodded. "I'll take care of it. Let's just get you home first. Ok?" 

She nodded. I lifted her up and got her to the car. Once we were home she went to the couch. 

I got my phone and called Leon. 

"Hey, Jenni. How's everything?"

"I got some bad news." I sighed. "The hospital called us. She had a miscarriage." 

"Jenni." He said. "What can I do?"

"There's nothing we can do. We lost the baby, Leon."

"How's Alexia?" 

"She's heartbroken. We both are but,"

"It was half of her." He said. "What happens now?"

"We're going to wait." I said. "Grieve our child, get back into a good headspace and then when she's ready, we'll try again. We will have our baby. I know we will."

I looked toward the living room. 

"Whatever you need, just give me a call. Please."

"I will. Thanks Leon."

"You don't have to thank me. Give Alexia my love."

"I will." I said and hung up. I sat with her and she rested her head on my shoulder. 

"We never even met him or her." She whispered. "I didn't even carry him or her, but I feel like I just lost a part of me."

"Because we did, Ale." I said. "You feel every emotion you need to. Cry, yell, get angry, feel what you want to feel. I am by your side through all of this. I'm not just your wife, you're my best friend, my rock, my everything. Let me be that for you." 

She looked up at me. "That was our baby, Jenni."

"I know." I wrapped my arms around her. "He or she knows how much we loved them. I know it."

July 2025

Alexia's POV:

I walked onto the bus and sat at the window seat. I felt someone sit next to me and knew it was Jenni.

I turned to her. "You doing alright?" She whispered. 

"I'm getting there. This tournament is just what I needed." 

"You're the strongest woman I know." She whispered. "And I love you."

"I love you too." I smiled.

The tournament started and we began the defense of our championship. 

It was difficult to go out there every day. To feel the way I did, but having only Jenni to turn too.

I needed another friend, and I knew just the person I could turn to. 

"Babe as much as I love you, I need another person." 

"Of course." Jenni smiled. "Who were you thinking?" 

I looked to my left. "Her."

Jenni laughed. "Of course. It's always Mariana." 

"Hey, guys." She hugged me. "What's going on?" She crossed her arms. Her bright Portugal shirt blinding my eyes.

"You came to us after the engagement. You've always been able to come to us."

"Because you two are the most welcoming and understanding people ever. Mapi is great, but Alexia if you didn't push me, I never would've bounced back after my brother died."

I looked down. "Can you be that for me?" I looked up at her as the tears filled my eyes. 

"Ale." She grabbed me. "Of course what happened?" 

I looked at Jenni. "You can't tell anyone." Jenni said.

"I'd never." We sat down.

"We're married." Jenni said. "We got married 3 years ago."

Mariana smiled. "Congratulations. Secret marriage for 3 years. Have fun telling everyone else." 

Jenni laughed. "We started talking about starting a family," She looked at me. "And we found a surrogate, got a sperm donor. It was all coming together. It worked, we got the call, she's pregnant. But we got a call one day. In April. They said something happened, she uh," Jenni looked down.

"She had a miscarriage." I whispered. "We lost the baby."

"Alexia." Mariana said. She took my hand. "I'm so sorry you two. I truly am, I don't even know what to say except that." I put my head on her shoulder. "I'm here." She squeezed my hand. "And you talk to me whenever you need to. Both of you."

"Two Spanish women and their Portuguese daughter." Jenni smiled.

"Then you two already know that you're going to be the best parents in the world." She said. "My mom suffered a miscarriage. Thought she'd never be able to give Gabriel a little sibling. She wanted to give up, but my father said when the time was right, they'd try again and they'd have another child. They waited, and then one day she found out she was pregnant. 9 months later, I was born. All these tears, all this pain, it will back you stronger. As painful as this is, one day you two will hold your son or daughter in your arms. And that child will grow up with the best parents in the world. I know that because you are the two best people I've ever met." 

How's everyone doing with the COVID19 situation? Hope all of you are healthy and staying inside. Hope all your loved ones and friends are well.