Look Up To You

September 2024

Alexia's POV:

I sat with Jenni on the couch and watched tv.

"Still following all the transfer news. Real Sociedad have added much-needed strength and experience to their midfield with the signing of Dutch star, Daniëlle van de Donk. She reunites with former Arsenal striker, Italian Natalia Garcia. The new did combine for 6 goals in Garcia's short run with the London side. Daniëlle looks to add herself to the Garcia duo of Natalia and team captain, Nahikari."

"Why do I have a feeling like Daniëlle is going to ruin everything?" Jenni turned to me.

"Because she might." I grabbed my phone. "Hey Leon. You busy?" I put him on speaker.

"No, I'm not busy what's going on?"

"Your sister's girlfriend."

"Daniëlle." He said. "What about her?"

"She's heading to Real Sociedad."

"I know. Hopefully, now that she's here, Nat will spend more time with her and less wondering about me."

"So this could help us?" Jenni asked.

"It could." Leon said. "Look, you two are in charge. You just tell me what you need me to do, and it's done."

"We haven't settled on when we're going to do this." Jenni said. "But we know we want to, and you're the guy for us."

"Leon!" Natalia yelled.

"Hold on." Leon said.

"I'm going to pick up Daan! Text me if you need anything!" I heard Natalia.

"I will!" He yelled back. "We're good." He said.

"We'll let you know when we're ready."

"Alright." He said. "Again, anything you need. Let me know."

"We will." I said bye and hung up. 

"Sounds like we're planning a murder." Jenni smiled.

"Don't smile like that."

"Why?"

"Because it's adorable and I'm supposed to be the serious one."

"If I'm adorable, why can't you still be serious?"

"When adorable Jenni comes out, my heart melts ok?"

"Aw. You love me."

"Yeah, I do you, big idiot. We've been over this." 

November 2024

Jenni's POV:

"Hey, Jenni." Mapi sat next to me. "You busy?" 

"No. What's going on Mapi?" 

"Just thinking about my career."

"What about it?" I looked at her.

"Ending it." She took a deep breath. "At the international level. I'm turning 30 next year." She said. 

"I know. Is Mariana looking for retirement homes?" I smirked.

"Shut up Jenni."

"Only I can say that." Alexia sat next to me. "What's going on?"

"Mapi's telling me about how old she's getting."

"Oh shut up, Mapi." I laughed. "You're turning 30. Not 100." 

"I think it's time to retire from the national team." She said. 

"If that's what you think, then do it."

"Sorry for wanting your opinions." She got up.

"Mapi, we can't make that decision for you. Whatever we say, it's your choice. If you think it's time, then do it. If not then lace up your boots and let's go."

"Think about it, Mapi." I said. "Then you talk to Mariana. She's the one you should be talking to. Not us."

"I know. I will talk to her. I just look up to the two of you." She sighed. "That's all." She walked away.

"What's going on with you?" I looked at Alexia. 

"I'm tired." She closed her eyes. 

"We'll be home soon. Then you can sleep." I whispered. 

"Ok." She nodded.

"Hey." She looked up at me. "I love you."

"I love you too." She smiled.

January 2025

Alexia's POV:

"Can everyone listen for a second?" Mapi stood up. "I have an announcement."

"Someone grab Patri." Jenni whispered. 

"So the Euros are this summer." She said. "And I'm also turning 30. Playing for Spain has been the best. I met my best friends." She looked at all of us. "And I met the love of my life."

"Mapi we talked about this. I love Mariona not you." Leila said.

"I'm going to kill her." Mapi said. Mariona laughed. "Anyway. After thinking about it, and talking it over with Mariana. I decided that after the Euros, I'm going to retire."

"YOU'RE WHAT!" Patri jumped up.

"Patri. Indoor voices." I sighed.

"SHUT UP ALEXIA!"

"Excuse me." I started to stand up. Jenni grabbed me.

"Say sike." Patri walked toward Mapi. "Say sike RIGHT NOW!"

"I'm sorry but I think it's time."

"NO!"

She stormed off. "Patri!" Mapi sighed. "Why? Why is she taking this as badly as she is?"

Jenni shrugged. "Because we're both older than you and still playing." I said. "Are you sure?"

"Just at the international level." Mapi said. "I'll still play for Barca. It's time. I want to start focusing on my art and working at the tattoo shop." She smiled. "Besides! Gabriel is turning 3 this year! Mariana's parents said he might be moving to Spain to live with her permanently. I told her I'd be around to help with him. That's what I'm going to do."

I smirked. "You've really grown huh?"

"I met the love of my life, Alexia. You should understand that more than anyone." I looked at Jenni. "I'm going to marry her. We're going to raise Gabriel."

"And other kids?" Jenni asked.

"Maybe! Who knows! I never thought I'd get married and raise a child! But here I am. Engaged and getting a room together for a 2 year old." Mapi laughed.

"That's great genius." Leila walked over. "But if you're playing for Barcelona how are you going to help raise him? She does still play for Alteti you know."

Mapi smiled. "I know."

"I don't trust that smile." I said.

"Don't worry about it." Mapi said. "I need to go find Patri." She ran off.

I turned to Jenni. "Our crazy kids." I laughed.

"If you think about it. This is perfect practice for the late teens early 20s stages." She smiled. 

"If you're parenting is going to be based on how you are with our teammates, I'm going to take back my decision to have kids with you." 

She kissed the top of my head. "We're going to be the best parents."