Not Fair

November 2022

Jenni's POV:

"We are continuing to follow the tragic news. Roma star, Gabriel Mendes has passed away at the age of 27. The beloved Portuguese defender was involved in a car crash earlier this month with his girlfriend. Both Mendes and his unnamed girlfriend have sadly passed away. They leave behind a young son, who was born just one day before Mendes' passing. Gabriel's sister, Portuguese captain Mariana has released the following statement."

I shook my head.

"This time has been difficult for my family and I. Seeing everyone sending their love to us right now means the world. To everyone at Roma, thank you for everything you did for Gabriel since he first joined. To the club where my brother and I both fell in love with the game, Sporting, thank you for your tributes. And to my current club, Atletico Madrid. Thank you for giving me the time I need to be with my family during this difficult time. We ask that you continue to respect our privacy as we mourn and try to make sense. Rest in peace. To both of you." The statement ended. "Mariana has been granted a leave of absence from Atleti. With the World Cup coming quickly, many are beginning to question whether or not she will play." 

I muted the TV and turned to Nala. "Don't look at me like that." I wiped the tears. "Alexia your DOG is judging me."

"Don't speak to your daughter that way!" Alexia yelled.

"Daughter." Nala growled. "You ain't my daughter." 

Alexia walked into the living room. "Still talking about Gabriel?"

"It's all over every channel." I sighed. "Now they're saying Mariana isn't going to play in the World Cup."

"She will." Alexia said. "I know she will. Football was the world to her and her brother. Playing in the World Cup will be the way she honors him."

"She's going to need you. You and Mariona. You both understand a tough loss like this."

She nodded. "I know. For now, I'll give her the space and time she needs. Hopefully, when she's ready she knows she can come to me. How are you dealing though? I know hearing about the crash made you uneasy."

"It brought back some memories, but I'm ok." I nodded. "I've learned to deal with it. I did have a few dreams but they stopped now."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"It was only 2." I said. "I didn't want to worry you, and it wasn't anything to worry about." I grabbed her hands. "I am ok." 

"If it happens again."

"I will tell you. But I'm better now. A lot better."

"You're my wife now. We're a team."

"Alexia Putellas, I've been on your team since the minute I first saw you. You are not going to lose me. Not now, not ever. So get ready for a lifetime of my antics because you're stuck with me."

"A lifetime?" I nodded. "I like the sound of them." She kissed me.

"I love soft, sweet Alexia."

"Tell anyone and they'll never find the body." She whispered to me and then walked away.

I looked down at Nala. "She'll feed me to you won't she? Is that how? I'm too good for you." Nala barked. "SHIT!" 

December 2022

Alexia's POV:

We sat at the stadium in Madrid and were ready for the match. Mariana's first one back. I was surprised to see her back so soon, but if she felt she could play, we're here to support her.

The teams walked out and stood at midfield. I put my arm around Mapi's shoulders and felt Jenni grab my hand. We all stood together. 

"Earlier this month, the football community was stunned by the sudden passing of Gabriel dos Santos Mendes, AS Roma and Portuguese defender." I watched Virginia grab Mariana's hand. "But he was also family of one of our own, the brother of Mariana. All of us here at Atletico Madrid and Real Sociedad continue to send our thoughts, prayers and of course our love to Mariana and her family during this extremely difficult time. Mariana, we are all with you and your family. We please ask you all to join us in a moment of silence that will begin and end on the referee's whistle." 

Mariana covered her face and I squeezed Mapi's shoulder. This was heartbreaking. Virginia turned and held Mariana tightly. 

At the ref's whistle, the crowd cheered and then the game was underway. 

Mariana's nephew, Gabriel was here too. "He is adorable." Leila said holding him. The baby grabbed her finger. "Ok. That's his now he can have it." 

I looked over at Mariona. Her look of love made me smile. "Stop." She mouthed to me.

"You're in love." I mouthed back. She shook her head and looked at the field. 

Vir had the ball and passed it to Mariana. When Mariana scored, I jumped up. "YES!" Jenni cheered. 

"There we go, Mariana!" I yelled. 

She fell to her knees, face covered. 

"My girl." Mapi mumbled. Her teammates surrounded her and they went into halftime up 1-0.

For the second half, Mariana wasn't out on the field. 

"I'm sure she's fine, Mapi." Jenni said.

She shook her head. "I gotta go." Mapi left.

"Mapi!" I stood. 

"Let her go." Jenni grabbed my hand. "Mariana needs Mapi, but Mapi also needs her." She kissed the side of my head as Atleti started their attack and scored the 2nd goal.

I looked at Jenni's scars on her neck. 

I almost lost her. I could've been in Mariana's shoes. 

I still have Jenni, but Mariana doesn't have her brother. 

My friend is hurting while I'm happy.

It's not fair.

Not fair at all.

I really wanted to connect this book with International ESPECIALLY after Gabriel's death because of the fact that Jenni was in a car crash too. 

Hope you enjoyed.