The Barnett History

Chapter 41

Being back home used to bring joy into my day but now as I park outside my driveway, ready to leave if things go south again, I just didn't feel like home anymore. So much has happened that I can't really see this place as that, a home. Secrets were hidden from me in order to build my life to what it was only to find out that it was all a lie. My father cornered me and tortured me with his past memories. Gerard even paid us an unwelcoming visit. Now, I don't even want to be around my mother because of her ideas on my father who, mind you, attacked me in order to get to Stiles and punish me.

I stayed in my car for a bit, but I knew my mother was looking out her office window, waiting for her to come in. My hands itched to turn the ignition back on and drive back to Stiles and just wait got him there, but something told me he was not going to come back home. With a long sigh, I got out of my car with just my keys and walked up to the front door.

As soon as I opened the door, I was greeted by my mother hugging me.

"My Lela..." she spoke into my ear.

My heart skipped a beat at the sound of my middle name. My mother never used the name alone. When she did it was only when she was upset with herself. The first time I heard it was after she caused me to cry in order to get me angry. It was around the time she started to train me for my shift. I was so upset that she had told me something about Lydia, I just cried. My mother was so upset in her own right because of how I became.

"I'm so sorry," she continued.

It took a bit, but I returned her hug as I buried my face into her shoulder.

"I should have told you about everything," she breathed out, "I know you would have gotten through it without a worry."

"Tell me the truth," I spoke into her shoulder, "Did you love him?"

I could feel her smile as she answered, "I did. I loved Peter so much I was willing to marry him, but then the Argents came into town for the first time. As much as I wanted it to work, we knew that it was best to build a hated relationship to keep you safe from them."

"Do you still love him after everything?" I asked.

This time her smile feels as she sighed, "I want to think that it was the alpha trait in him that did what he did, but deep down he was kind to me. Rude, but kind."

"You didn't answer my question, mom," I pulled away from our hug.

She looked into my eyes, "Yes, I would always love your father. I was willing to end my relationship in the hopes he would come back to me. I guess I didn't think he would die for real."

"Or that he would attack his own child," I scoffed, "I get it, but I would never forgive what he did."

"I know," she sighed, "I will never push you on that, I just want you to know that my lies were all done because I thought it would never come to the surface."

"But it did, mom," I told her, getting frustrated with everything, "I get I was a kid, but you have told me that I was smart in how I kept my secret. Why didn't you tell me a few years into the lie? Why after ten years!?"

"I'm sorry," she sighed, "I know that now."

"Is there any more lies?" I asked, crossing my arms.

"No," she shook her head, "Everything I told you is everything, not including my family. That is another thing that we will have to slowly pull back the veil. The Barnett family is a Pandora box that should never open, but after everything, I think it's time I finally tell you everything."