Independence Day

Chapter 55

"You know," I spoke up as I laid in the hospital bed, staring holes on the plain white ceiling, "I'm starting to hate being your daughter..."

"What does that even mean?" Jessica asked as she let out a laugh from the sudden comment.

I lifted my hands and waved it about the room and them motioning to myself, "All of this! If you weren't a doctor, you would just have me in the house, with the simple claim of me being sick..."

"Too many witnesses," Jessica sighed, "If Gerard never came to the station, I might have just taken you home and kept you there, but then there is the fact that Noah and Melissa were also there."

"Maybe I should just stop pretending to be human and just accept what I am," I told her, looking over to her, "I think it would have saved us from all of this drama."

"It would only look bad for us," Jessica answered back.

"Us or the family name?" I threw back, "I mean, we shouldn't have to worry about what anyone thinks. You fell in love with a werewolf with an addiction to power. You shouldn't be shames for that. Hell, you wouldn't be the first Barnett to do so."

"You have always had such a carefree feel to it all," my mother smiled over to me, "That's what I take pride in you having."

I smiled back.

The door opened to reveal a smiling Stiles popping his head in, "Hey."

"Stiles!" I smiled, cheering for him, "What are you doing here?"

"Scott and I were allowed to go home early after out session with Ms. Morrell," Stiles replied, "Has she seen you yet?"

I shook my head, "No, not yet. I'm not saying a thing to her. There's really nothing to say. Matt held us captive, obviously tried to kill us all. I was placed in the hospital because of his. Not to mention the fact that he really was a stalker who had a picture of me all over his bedroom walls. He literally told me that to my face and I was too shocked to even take it seriously!"

"When did he tell you that?" Stiles asked, shocked at the sudden news, "Why didn't you tell me about it?"

"It was at the party, he asked to explain himself with the weird pictures Allison found on his camera," I told him, "I didn't tell you because we rushed to your dad soon after all of that."

Stiles took a seat at the edge of my bed as he took my hands in his, "I'm sorry you keep getting the worse end off all of these things."

"Thanks," I smiled at him, "It's not something we could help with."

"I'll leave you two to talk," my mother smiled over to us, "I have to meet someone."

"Who?" Stiles and I both asked, turning toward her as she reached for the door.

Jessica gave us a confused look before she replied, "I'm going to meet with an old friend. Someone that knows about all of this. They might be able to help with the sudden change of master."

We both nodded, but before she was able to go I called out to her, "Can you make sure Mel is okay? She's not talking to either me or Scoot after what happened..."

"I'm trying," Jessica sighed, "She thinks I'm a werewolf as well. I think time will help her get her thoughts together."

"Alright," I sighed.

Stiles took my hand as he tried to soothe my nerves from all of this. The shot of electricity was enough to send a smile and warm feeling throughout my body. After everything that happened at the station, I felt oddly connected to Stiles. I had started to hear faint words like I was able to hear his thoughts in a way. Like now, I could make out the word drowning.