Chapter 20. Be Happy With What You Got

MIA'S POV

"Oh my god," I breathe.

"That's what I said." He chuckles from the doorway, taking a drag off his cigarette. Bryan smiles between the two of us.

"So Jordy is my brother. Then where is-" I cut off as a little eight-year-old girl who looks similar to Jordy, and I comes dancing into the living room.

"Hi, I'm Jasmine," She says in a high voice.

I smile at her. "I'm Mia," I tell her.

She comes up and hugs me. "I got an older sister and an older brother now. It's so cool," She says, jumping up on Jesse's lap. Jesse high fives her.

"Is my sister, your girlfriend?" She asks him. Jesse chuckles and nods. "That's weird."

Jesse laughs and nods in agreement. "I totally agree."

"So, do you think she did this because of my grandparents?" I ask Bryan.

He sighs and nods. "That's what she said. She told me today it was because her parents forced her to keep you but not tell me about it. Rather that's true or not is totally beyond me," He says, shaking his head. "I'm sure your grandparents were far more capable of helping her than I was. However, I would have helped her.

"We'll give you guys a moment," Jesse says, throwing Jasmine onto his shoulders and walking toward Jordy. Jordy turns around and walks away. Bryan comes over and sits beside me.

"What if I'm not really yours?" I ask.

"Are you kidding?" He asks and laughs. "Look at you, kid. You look damn near just like me except you definitely got your mom's eyes."

I smile at him.

"I was the only guy your mom had ever been with," He says.

"That's weird," I mutter. He arches an eyebrow at me. "My mom said she hadn't had a boyfriend since my dad. She said nobody held any interest to her the way my dad did. She's basically a nun."

"Don't get me wrong, kid. I cared about your mom deeply. Your mom and I were good together, but her parents got in the way. Things don't always work out the way you want. For whatever it's worth to you though, I'd really like to make up for lost time," He says.

I look up at him and smile. "I'd like that too," I tell him honestly. We head outside to the back yard where Jordy and Jesse are. I hear the tail end of their conversation.

"I think I'm now obligated to tell you if you hurt my sister, I'll kick your ass," Jordy teases.

"I won't," Jesse tells him and laughs. "I never thought you'd have to say that to me, though." Both boys burst into laughter. I walk in between them, sneaking under Jesse's arm and wrapping my arms around his waist. He wraps an arm around my shoulder. "You good?" He asks me.

"Yeah, I'm good," I tell him. "It's just a lot to take in." Jesse and I head toward's the truck to head back to his place.

"You know, you shouldn't be too hard on your mom," Jesse says softly. "Maybe you should hear her side." I look over at him like he's lost his mind. "Yeah, I know, call me crazy okay?"

"You are crazy," I grumble.

He chuckles. "Look, baby don't get mad, but the truth is you only get one mom. Just be happy that you still have both your parents. Take it from me. It could be much worse," He says.

I look over at him in surprise. I wasn't even thinking about any of that. I know Jesse's dad died, but we don't talk much about him. "What happened to your dad?" I ask as he pulls into the driveway.

He looks over at me. "Come inside, and I'll tell you," He sighs.

We climb out of the truck. He takes my hand, intertwining it with his. We go upstairs quietly and to his bedroom. Jesse changes into a pair of shorts, and I change into one of his shirts. I crawl up on the bed. His back is leaning against the headboard. I crawl between his legs and put my back to his chest and lay my head in the crook of his neck. He kisses the side of my head before wrapping his arms around my waist.

"When I was eight years old, my dad and I were traveling from Georgia to Florida to see my grandparents. My mom stayed back home having to work," He starts. I look up at him, and he seems far away, very distant. "Anyways, on our way home it was late, it was dark. I was awake in the backseat, just talking to my dad. My dad turned his head to look back at me, and that's when I saw bright headlights coming straight at us. I yelled at my dad, pointing toward the windshield. He spun around and tried to swerve, but it was too late. A drunk semi driver hit us head-on, and all I can remember is the car flipping repeatedly. The car caught fire, and I got out of the seat belt. I yelled at my dad to wake up, but he wouldn't. I got scared and climbed out of the car, the last thing I remember is the car exploding. The doctors said I was lucky to have survived it at all. They assume my dad's body burned in the car, though they never found any trace of him. The car was pretty messed up, but I talked my mom into keeping it. Now it's under a sheet in the garage rebuilt," He explains.

I stare up at him, dumbfounded. "Are you serious?"

He nods. "A 1967 Chevy Impala."

I'm silent for a long moment, not even knowing what to say. Now I feel childish for being so angry with my mom.

"You understand now why I think you should forgive your mom? I'm not saying what she did was right, but maybe you should hear her side of the story. Be grateful that she is alive. That your dad is alive. Losing time with your dad that can't be replaced. It totally sucks, and I get that, but just be happy with what you got, right?" He asks me. "Some people have a lot less. Jordy never even met his mom. I mean sure he's got Rachel. She has been great to Jordy and all, but it isn't the same, and she hasn't always been there."

I look up into his green eyes, and I see the sincerity in them.

"Right," I murmured nodding. "I'll talk to her tomorrow."

"Okay, but so you know, there is a cookout at Jordy's place tomorrow," Jesse says and smiles.

I laugh. "Okay."

We crawl under the blankets, and I curl myself onto his chest. The rhythm of his heartbeat puts me to sleep almost instantly.