Chapter 27. No Words

Jesse's POV

Jordy and I pull up to Mia's mom's house. It is entirely dark. I have the windows down halfway. I leave the car in neutral with the E break up. "Where the hell are they?" I say out loud but more saying it to myself.

"Good question, I'm sure they're almost here. The theater isn't that far. What is it like eight blocks?" Jordy says.

"Yeah, some shit like that." I nod. I get out of the car, and Jordy follows me. He comes over to stand next to me. We light a cigarette looking around for the girls.

That's when we hear a blood-curdling scream, "Jesse!" My cigarette falls from my mouth. Before the scream even ends, I'm running toward it. Jordy is several feet behind me. I run up one of the alleys looking, but I don't see anything. I keep pushing myself forward as fast as I can.

That's when I see them at least five guys standing around Mia. As I run toward them, I watch him punch her in the eye, and she falls.

"No!" I roar. The guys turn toward Jordy and me. One of the guys takes off running, and Jordy goes after him. The first guy I go for is the piece of shit that hit my girl. The other three guys come at me. I flip one of them right over my shoulder. All I'm seeing right now is red because I'm so pissed off. I punch the next guy in the jaw that comes at me. I'm just knocking them down long enough to get to the one who hit Mia. He falls, and I continue to go for the one my eyes are set on. Another guy comes at me and jumps toward me like he's trying to tackle me. I duck down and slide like I'm sliding into home base. When I stand up, I'm just two feet from the guy who is hovering over Mia.

As soon as he spins around, I punch him in the nose. Blood gushes from his nose instantly. He throws his hands over his now broken nose but doesn't fall. This time I hit him in the jaw, and he hits the ground, but I'm nowhere near done with him. He groans in pain as I punch him over and over again.

The sound of a twig snapping alerts me that someone is behind me. I twist around to find a fist barreling toward my face. I catch his fist in my hand and punch him between the legs. He bends over, grabbing himself and groaning in pain. I swing again, hitting him in the jaw. He falls to the ground, and I go back to hitting the guy I'm hovering over. I go back to the guy I'm on top of and hit him three more times in the head. Then I hear a girl scream I look at Mia, but she is still down.

Four guys are hauling Lily away. I jump up and run after Lily. Jordy runs over to Mia. I start throwing the guys off of Lily. I pick Lily up bridal style and run back towards Mia and Jordy. One of the other guys hits Jordy in the jaw then the stomach, but he doesn't go down. I set Lily down. I run to where Jordy is and hit the guy in the temple knocking him out. The bigger guy is still on the ground. The other two guys took off. I check behind us, and the other four guys that had Lily are taking off running.

"Jordy, can you get Lily?" I ask him, breathlessly.

"Yeah, you good?" He asks.

"Yeah." I run over to Mia. I throw my leather jacket over her and pick her up. She is still out. I have no words for this. She looks like she got hit by a damn truck. The right side of her face is puffy and bruised. Her bottom lip is busted. We carry the girls back to the car two blocks away. We put them in the back seat of the Challenger. I head back toward my house.

"I don't know what to do, man

"I don't know what to do, man. Do we take them to the hospital?" I ask Jordy.

Just then, Mia sits up. "No," She whispers and sits back. My gaze meets Jordy's, and he shakes his head with a sigh. Once we're back, we help the girls inside. They're both slowly walking. I tell Jordy to use one of the guest rooms upstairs to clean Lil up as I take Mia to my bathroom. I set her up on the counter and begin to clean her up.

"Baby, I really think you should see a doctor," I tell her.

She shakes her head. "No, I'll be fine," She murmurs.

"Fine, but I'm running you a bath, at least," I tell her.

***

The next morning Mia comes downstairs, wearing thick makeup, trying to cover up her bruised face. I get angry all over again just from looking at her. She bends down and kisses me before heading to the coffee pot.

"What are you going to do when your mother sees you like that?"

"I don't intend on her seeing it. Why do you think I didn't want to go to the hospital," She says. "I'll be eighteen in a few days anyway."

"Why what's the big deal?" I ask her.

"She doesn't like you as it is, knowing her she is going to get all wigged out. Turn all this around on you, Jordy, and dad. I'm not having it," She says sternly.

"Maybe your mother is right," I mutter as I stand up from the table.

She slams her cup down on the counter and looks at me stubbornly. She walks towards me and shoves me in the chest. "Don't, do you hear me?" She reaches up with both hands on each side of my face, so I have to look at her. "Don't you dare talk like that. This is not your fault. I'd be raped and probably dead last night if it hadn't been for you! You saved me," She murmurs the last part.

"You notice, an awful lot of bad shit has happened ever since you got involved with me? Is it just my fucking luck or something?" My eyes begin to water, and I jerk my head away from her. I hate crying, especially in front of other people. It shows weakness. I rub my hands over my face tilting my head back. "Maybe you should go home," I breathe, dropping my hands.

"I'm not going home, but if you make me leave, I'll just go stay with my dad," She warns. I don't answer her looking downwards. "I love you. I want to be here with you." Hurt colors her tone as she looks away from me.

I sigh and put both of my hands on each side of her face making her look at me. "Baby, I don't want you to leave. I love you. I want you here with me too I just-" I cut off but try again. "I hate seeing you like this." My throat tightens, and I grit my teeth.

"Hey, man, we're gonna head back to my place," Jordy says as he enters the kitchen.

"How are you feeling, Mia?" Jordy asks.

"I'm fine. How's Lily?" Mia asks.

"Shaken up, but she'll be okay," Jordy says.

"Let me know later how she is," I tell Jordy.

"Yeah, keep me posted too," Jordy says.

"You got it, bro," I say as I pull him in for a bro hug.

After they leave, I turn to Mia, "Do you want to just stay in and watch movies?"

"Yeah," She agrees.

As we head into the living room, Mia stumbles a bit and clutches her stomach with a pained expression. I grab her arm. "I'm fine," She mumbles, but I don't buy it. I lift her shirt slowly. There are bruises all over her abdomen. My jaw clenches and rage pulses through me. I spin around, needing to release my anger somehow, and my fist collides with the drywall. The drywall crumbles, leaving a hole the size of my fist.

"I swear to everything that is holy I'm going to find that mother fucker again, and when I do, he is a dead man!" I boom.

"Jess," Mia pleads to try to relax me, but I can't calm down. I can't even stand the sight of her. Knowing that whoever the fuck this guy is, he just got away with what he'd done to her. I'm not letting this go, not by a fucking long shot.