Chapter 25. I'd Give You My Last Breath

Jesse's POV

I'm laying on the couch watching TV when I see headlights flash into the driveway. Who in the hell...

When I look out the window, I see Mia running up the front yard. My eyebrows knit together in confusion, and I throw the door open. She bolts up the stairs and plows into me. She's sobbing against my chest. Instinctively I wrap my arms around her protectively and pull her into the house and shut the door.

"He won't leave me alone! My mom gave him my number. I don't understand what the hell her problem is! She says you are going to ruin my life the same way my dad ruined hers. He was at my house when I got home I-I-" She stutters through tears and fists my muscle shirt.

"What the hell are you talking about, baby? calm down."I push her away from me enough to see her face. "Mia, who are you talking about?" I ask her as I grab her face between my hands.

"Remember a long time ago you asked who pissed me off? You assumed I had a boyfriend before you that hurt me," She mumbles and sniffles.

"Yeah?" I arch a brow. She never did admit it to me, though.

She sighs heavily. "I did have a boyfriend before you, Marcus. Just a couple of weeks before I moved to Atlanta, I caught him having sex with one of my friends. I was with him for a while. I almost gave it to him, but then that happened. Marcus was at the house tonight when I got home."

"What did he do?" I growl.

"Just trying to talk me into getting back with him. He sorta forced me into kissing him, but when he let me go, I kicked him between the legs and slapped him." She grimaces. I grit my teeth, and my nostrils flare. That seriously pisses me off.

Her phone rings she pulls it out and looks at it. "It's him," She mutters.

I grab the phone from her and answer it. Mia's eyes grow wide.

"Hello," I say calmly.

"Who is this?" He asks.

"This is Mia's boyfriend," I tell him. "And you are the ex-boyfriend, right?" I ask, letting dark humor color my tone.

"Excuse me?" He asks.

"Let me make this simple for you, Marcus. You ever touch my girl or even so much as call her again," I pause. "I'll personally fuck you up so bad you'll spend the rest of your life eating through a fucking straw," I threaten darkly, Mia's gaping at me. He hangs the phone up without responding. I'm going to beat his ass.

"Can I stay here? I'm turning eighteen in a couple of days, and I'm not going back to living with her. I don't care that she is my mom. I get that you think I should forgive her. I probably will eventually, but I'm done living with her. All she ever does is butt into my life because she's so scared that I'll make her mistakes." She looks drained by the time she's done speaking.

"Yeah, baby, of course," I murmur, pulling her into me and further into the house. "You hungry?"

She nods, so I pull her to the kitchen. I turn to grab her. She gasps when I grab her hips and lift her onto the counter by the stove. I can feel her gaze on my back as I grab eggs from the fridge. "I need to go grocery shopping tomorrow," I tell her.

She smiles at me. "I can't see you grocery shopping." The giggle that'd been threatening to burst out of her escapes.

"Well, normally, mom does it, but I don't really have a choice anymore," He chuckles.

"You can cook?" She looks at me doubtfully as I move around the kitchen.

"Yeah, I'm a pretty good cook actually," I give her a smirk.