Chapter 35. Over My Dead Body

Jesse's POV

The guy pushes me forward. I spin around to come face to face with Marcus. He slowly pulls his hood off his head.

"Marcus, what the fuck are you doing?" Mia asks him in shock.

"I'm taking what is rightfully mine," Marcus says, continuing to point the gun at me.

"Over my dead body," I growled darkly.

He grabs Mia's arm and cocks the gun.

"No, Marcus!" Mia pleads.

"That's the idea," Marcus smirks.

"She doesn't want you. You do this to me, and she definitely won't ever want you because all you'll ever be is the guy who killed her first true love," I told him darkly. I'm just aging it on, and I know it.

He laughs. "We'll see about that."

"Marcus, don't do this, please, if you care for me at all. Don't. Okay? Don't hurt him. I'll go with you. I'll do whatever you want just don't," She whispers in panic.

He seems to think about it for a moment. During his distraction, Mia quickly pushes him. I lunge for him, but he's already hit Mia across the face so hard that she spins around and slams into the wall. I shove Marcus against the wall fighting him for the gun. The gun goes off twice while we feud not hitting either of us.

"Jesse!" Mia screams. It distracts me long enough for him to shove me off of him, and he pulls the gun up and fires it. Mia screams again.

"Please stop it! Help!" Mia screams.

The bullet hits me on the side, grazing me, but it hurts. I lunge at him again, knocking the gun out of his hand. "Run, Mia!" I scream at her. She doesn't move frozen to the spot. Marcus runs after the gun, and I trip falling on my ass. I hit the ground. Marcus grabs the gun. I pull out my 45 MM handgun that was in my leather jacket.

"Stop!" Mia Screams again. Marcus and I have our guns pointed at each other. Both of us pulling the trigger. Mia's screams echo through the alleyway just as the gunshots do.

***

Mia's POV

The man pushes Jesse forward into the alley, but not me. Jesse and I both spin around to face the man. It's Marcus. Why is he doing this to us? He's fucking crazy. Jesse is a few feet behind me.

"Marcus, what the fuck are you doing?" I ask him in disbelief.

He pulls his hood down. "I'm taking what is rightfully mine," He says as he continues pointing the gun at Jesse.

"Over my dead body," Jesse growls darkly. I stand closer to Marcus, then Jesse. I'm so scared out of my mind. I begin to shake. I look over at Jesse worriedly. Marcus grabs my arm, and Jesse takes a step forward as Marcus cocks the gun.

"No, Marcus!" I plead with him, trying to pull my arm out of his grip.

"That's the idea," Marcus smirks, letting out a really low quiet chuckle. Jesse takes a slow step toward's him, without Marcus even realizing it.

"She doesn't want you. You do this to me, and she definitely won't ever want you because all you'll ever be is the guy who killed her first true love." Jesse says darkly, giving Marcus a stern confident look.

The tears are rolling down my face I gasp for air, feeling as though I can't get enough into my lungs. My head begins to spin, and I can't see through the tears.

"We'll see about that," Marcus says and laughs.

"Marcus, don't do this, please, if you care for me at all. Don't. Okay? Don't hurt him. I'll go with you. I'll do whatever you want. Just don't," I plead in panic.

He stops for a moment considering it. I barely have time to think about my actions, but I know I've got to do something because I'm running out of time. I quickly tear my arm away and push him with all my body weight. He stumbles, trying to regain his balance. I look over at Jesse, my eyes pleading with him, even if he at least survives this then that'll be fine with me.

Jesse is running toward Marcus. Marcus spins around and slaps me hard across the face. So hard that I spin around my whole body smashing into the brick wall behind me, hitting my head hard. It hurt's bad enough that I feel as though I'm going to faint. I have an instant headache. I force myself to turn around and look at the boys.

Jesse has Marcus against the wall fighting him for the gun. The gun goes off, and I jump practically out of my skin, watching in panic, but it doesn't seem to hit either one of them. Another shot is fired, still not seeming to hit either one of them.

"Jesse!" I scream.

It seems to distract Jesse. He loses his concentration thanks to my big mouth. Marcus shoves Jesse away long enough to aim the gun at Jesse and fire a shot. I scream, and to my surprise, Jesse doesn't go down.

"Please stop it! Help!" I scream. Jesse runs at Marcus again and manages to knock the gun out of his hand.

"Run, Mia!" Jesse yells at me.

What? Run? No! How can I run and leave him? I can't. I'd rather stay here and die with him, but I'm not leaving this alleyway without him. Marcus runs after the gun, and Jesse falls to the ground. Marcus grabs the gun. Jesse pulls a handgun out of his jacket that I didn't even realize he had at all.

"Stop!" I scream. Marcus and Jesse have their guns pointed at each other. Both of them pulling the trigger. I squeeze my eyes shut as the guns go off. I scream again, keeping my eyes closed. I'm too afraid to open them to see who lost.

Jesse's POV

"Mia," I groan, looking over at her.

She opens her eyes. "Jess," She whispers. She runs toward me, getting down beside me on the ground. When I fired the gun, I put a bullet right between Marcus's eyes. Marcus's shot was a bit off. He shot me in the shoulder.

Mia pulls her cell phone out and begins looking up and down the alleyway and then back to me. I feel exhausted from it all: my vision blurring and head spinning. My eyes get heavy. "Jess stay awake, please," She whispers.

I look up at her. "I'm fine, baby," I murmur. I breathe in and out slowly as I begin to fall asleep.

"Stay awake, Jesse, please," She begs me.

"Tired," I whisper, and then everything goes black.