Chapter 46. It's Quiet

Mia's POV

It's quiet. The only thing I can hear is my blood and heart pounding from the adrenaline of the almost accident. I sit in my seat. My eyes wide with horror as I take in the view in front of us. We just barely stopped before the embankment. 

"Fuck, baby, I'm so sorry. Are you okay?" Jesse asks me breathlessly. I don't respond to him trying to get my panic attack under control. He unbuckles my seatbelt and pulls me to him. I'm in tears, and I didn't even realize it until he wiped them away. "Shh, it's okay, baby. We're okay," He soothes me.

I nod and then shake my head, trying to shake away the feeling of what just happened. The truck managed to stop just inches away from the edge of a steep hillside. We would have, without a doubt, rolled the truck to the bottom. There is no way there would have been anything left of us or the truck.

"Put your seatbelt on," Jesse murmurs. I stare at him like he is crazy. He's acting as if we didn't just almost die.

"You aren't seriously thinking about driving through this shit?" I ask, dumbfounded.

"That is exactly what I'm thinking. We're only forty-five minutes away, baby. I'm just going to have to drive slower at least until this fuckin' snow lets up." Jesse says. I look at him like I still think he is out of his god damn mind. "Do you trust me?"

Of course, I trust him. He may be the craziest man I've ever met, but the fact that he is crazy has saved me several times, including tonight. I slide back into my seat away from him. I take a couple of deep breaths and put my seat belt back on.

"I trust you," I sigh. He nods and throws the truck into drive, heading in the direction of the cabin.

***

We make it to the cabin alive. I can't believe it. The cabin is stunning. I can't believe this Cabin has been in Jesse's family for so long. We enter the front entrance, not far off the driveway. There is a long staircase that goes up to the hallway where the bedrooms and bathrooms are.

 There is a long staircase that goes up to the hallway where the bedrooms and bathrooms are

Opie comes up to us at the front entrance

Opie comes up to us at the front entrance. "Damn, dude thought you weren't going to make it." Funny he should say that leave it to Opie to have perfect timing.