52

𝐈𝐓𝐒 𝐓𝐈𝐌𝐄
family sticks together, through thick and thin

IT WAS THE night before the battle and they were all sitting in a clearing in the middle of the woods

Ophelia was leaning back into Dean, his arms wrapped around her protectively. Rebekah and Sam were in the same position beside them. And everyone else was scattered around, no one was talking.

They watched as Edward placed a load of firewood into the centre. Ophelia's eyes widened in astonishment when Benjamin's fingers ignited with fire and threw it onto the wood. 

"That's what I'm talking about!" Jacob exclaimed with a big smile. "A little pre-battle bonfire. Telling war stories." He the. looked around the rest of the witnesses — other than the Mikaelson's — who were silent and not moving. "Or just stand around like freaking statues." 

Suddenly, Garrett appeared on the log across from the two couples. "Name any American battle. I was there." 

Ophelia smirked. "Honey... my family and I have been alive for over a thousand years, I think we can beat you with being in every war and battle. Why do you think we won them all?"

Garrett smirked at her. "I like you."

Ophelia grinned when Dean pulled her closer to him. "Sorry, but I'm taken."

Bella walked over to them and sat down beside Ophelia and Dean. "Little Bighorn."

"I was this close to biting Custer," he said, holding his thumb and finger inches apart, "but the Indians got him first." 

Kate appeared on Garrett's lap, "Try Oleg's assault on Constantinople. He didn't win that one on his own." 

The Irish appeared next, and Liam said, "if you're talking battles, you're talking the Eleven Years' War. No one does the rebellion like the Irish." 

"You lost the Eleven Years' War," Garrett frowned, confused. 

"Aye," Liam grinned, "but it was one hell of a rebellion." 

"Try World War 1," Rebekah commented and everyone turned to her. "Did any of you wonder why some bodies were found without hearts or heads? I mean... come on."

Benjamin looked over at Ophelia, his golden eyes twinkling from the light coming off the fire. "You said you are a thousand years old, right?" She nodded and he grinned. "Tell is some stories."

"Oh, don't get her started," Klaus said as he plopped down on the other side of Bell with a smirk on his face. "She could go on for days and not be tired."

The raven haired girl glared at her brother before turning back to Benjamin. "Don't listen to him, he's a petty little thing. Anyway..."

FRESHLY FALLEN SNOW that was once untouched now crunched under the weight of more than a dozen vampires as they made their way into the battlefield.