Chapter 4

Selene and Triss were in the small cottage that the sorceress lived in and Triss simply motioned for her to sit. "Sit and rest, you look like you need it." Said woman nodded her head and she looked out the window watching as the sky slowly darkened. With a weak sigh she sealed the window shut while Triss closed up the rest of the house. "So....tell me." Selene turned to look at the woman with bright red hair and dark green eyes a single eyebrow arched in curiosity.

    "Who are you....I don't feel right just referring to you as a woman or a girl....it's disrespectful."

     The silver eyed woman felt her brow furrow and she exhaled slowly. "And names are binding."

    Triss simply smiled at this, the girl was smart, she knew what giving a name could mean. "You would be correct, but...I will not and i mean I swear on the spheres that I will not use your name for anything other then addressing you."

    Selene felt her eyes narrow a bit before she crossed her arms, but She kept her silence and refused to answer.

   "Come now, it won't be that bad, and we should try to get along after all, you seem to mean something to..." she never got to finish that sentence because Selene's  eyes had narrowed into slits with pure anger.

    "I mean nothing to that man, he's just someone who keeps running into me." Triss blinked. "Is that why he openly sought your help? Is that why this man relaxes more around you then he has anyone else?  Is that why he thanked you when I left the room? Is that what you really think?"

    Silver eyes widened at Triss' outburst of questions and emotions, it was almost suffocating at this point. "Because if you ask me you seem as if you mean something to him. And i swear to you, I will not breathe your name to anyone."

    Selene bit her lower lip, her eyebrows furrowed, worry etched into the stormy silver eyes as she debated, triss had a point, what she couldn't figure out was why Geralt had personally signaled her out. Did it have to do with that unusual pull?  Shaking her head she finally sighed before she rubbed her forehead.

   "Selene...." triss blinked suddenly confused. "I'm sorry?" She sighed before she finally looked at Triss, and Triss shivered under the intense silver gaze. "My name is Selene of Vesina."

    Triss blinked once, then twice as she looked trying to process what was being said before it clicked. "Selene...." the woman nodded and rubbed her head again and triss smiled.

   "Well now that I know your name, how about I make us something to eat?" Selene blinked before she slowly nodded in agreement. "That...sounds like a good idea. Last time I ate was this morning."

   Triss frowned before clicking her tongue against her teeth. "That's unhealthy, it's no wonder you look to thin." Selene shrugged. "I'm always on the move, I never stay in one place longer then two day's top."

   "Can I ask why that is?" Selene shrugged. "I just....I feel unwanted, or I get uncomfortable....I don't feel right around a lot of people." Triss nodded, she understood that, being different from others she understood how dangerous it could be to be around so many humans who could at a moments notice change their tune and attack with no guilt in mind.

    "Would it be because of the eyes?" Selene blinked and shrugged. "Partly, most have usually just assumed I was blind, those who don't...." triss tilted her head she could hear the hesitation and the pain behind Selene's voice.

    "What happens when they realize you aren't blind but different?" "You mean when they realize I'm a freak?" Triss frowned, the woman wasn't a freak, she was different and unique. "I had stones thrown at me, I've been stabbed more times then I can count, and that's not even the worst of it."

    Now that alarmed triss if being stabbed and stoned wasn't the worse of it...then what could have been? "If I may ask....what was the worst of it?" Selene sighed all her earlier strength gone and she sank into the chair behind her, she just looked tired and lonely, which broke Triss' heart. No one should suffer for what they are.

    "The worst of it....haaa the fucking worst of it was being strung up to a tree bleeding out from my stomach, my head and side." Green eyes widened in horror, and they soon filled with tears. "If it wasn't for the fact some homeless idiot took pity on me and cut me loose and returned my weapons I would have probably bleed to my death."

     It was silent for a few minutes as Triss finished working on reheating the stew she had made early before she walked over and handed Selene a bowl before sitting next to her.

    "You didn't deserve any of that." Selene said nothing, she was exhausted, she had said more to this woman then anyone else in a very long time, she had let out some of her darkest memories and it drained her, it didn't help that talking to this woman just left her feeling awkward and tired to start with.

    "You're different and unique and Im
Glad that man cut you down and let you go. I'm sorry you hurt, and you suffer. I can promise you this though...I won't ever use any of what was said to me against you in anyway shape or form and I'll tell no one your name. You have my word."

    Selene looked at the woman and sighed as she started to eat. Against her better judgement she decided to trust this woman, just once. "Thank you." Was all she said before the two lapsed back into silence and ate their food each woman worried about Geralt and how he was handling the striga, Selene with guilt since she couldn't do more to help and Triss because he was one of her dearest friends.

   Once the two were finished their food did Selene stand up and help Triss clean up the dishes. "You should get some rest Selene. You need it." She wanted to refuse but knew that Triss was right, so with a reluctant sigh she allowed her to show her to a spare room. "Goodnight Selene Of Vesina." Selene nodded and soon the door closed and she slowly sank down onto the bed. She felt to open, to vulnerable, like her very soul was exposed and she was also worried for Geralt a man she didn't even know, yet he had been nothing but kind to her, even offered to split his coin with her.

    She closed her eyes as the tears finally escaped, the pain and anguish finally coming to the front and emotions that should have been dead returned again. She was a silent crier, she didn't like to make noise, didn't like to cause alarm, she simply cried until she couldn't cry anymore and that's when she finally gave up and slipped into a dreamless sleep.