Chapter 46

It was a week later when they finally arrived in Venril. Everyone was tired and irritated. Selene because Dandelion wouldn't shut up with his endless questions. Geralt and his own short temper didn't help Hers, and poor Ciri was plagued by nightmares which left Selene awake most of the night keeping her calm.

   "Shut the fuck up Jaskir!" The bard went unusually silent as Selene snapped and lost her usual calm. "Someone's cranky." She felt her eye twitch and if it wasn't for the fact she had Ciri in her arms she would have gone after him. "Because I'm fucking tired!" "And whose fault is that?!" Selene didn't even hesitate, she let Ciri go and went after the bard.

   Geralt however stopped her just in time. "Sel, calm down. Why aren't you sleeping?" Selene went oddly silent and looked away before yanking herself out of Geralt's hold and going back to Ciri. Both men looked at each other and Ciri frowned.

   "Someone needs a nap." Selene ignored the jab and kept walking holding Ravens Reigns and Ciri's hand. "Is....is it my fault?" Selene stopped walking the second Ciri asked her question. Looking at the young girl she knelt down so she was now eye level with her. "No."

    "But I know my nightmares keep you awake...I know that you stay awake to make sure I sleep." Selene blinked before she covered her mouth and then rubbed Ciri's head. "Oh Ciri, I don't mind doing that." "Really?" "Really, i'll do whatever it takes to keep you safe and make sure you sleep well."

   Ciri slowly nodded before she hugged selene tight. "You need to sleep...please." Selene sighed and hugged her back. "I know Ciri, and trust me i can sleep as soon as we make it to the cottage okay?" Ciri pulled back and frowned but slowly nodded in agreement. However Geralt was not in agreement.

   Walking over he had already put his swords on Roach and grabbed Selene's hand and stopped her from walking. "Get on." She blinked but didn't move. "Selene If you don't get on my back in the next five minutes I'm picking you up and carrying you weather you like it or not."

   Selene blushed faintly and refused to move at first but the second she saw Geralt started to move did she sigh and finally wrap her arms around his neck. "Jump." With a sigh she moved her hands to his shoulders and used them as leverage as she jumped up.

   The second she jumped he caught her legs and held them as she wrapped her arms back around his neck and laid her head down on his shoulder. "Sleep." She Didn't fight this time, she was exhausted and slowly fell asleep while they continued to walk down the path to the tavern so he could hand in a job then they would back track to the cottage where they could all rest.

     Ciri looked over and shifted slightly and Geralt raised an eyebrow. "Yes?" Her eyes widen as she was clearly caught off guard by him speaking before she shifted again. "Can....can I hold your hand?" Geralt chuckled but shifted so Selene was a bit more comfy and reached over to take Ciri's hand.

   "Come on, grab my hand and let's keep going." Dandelion watched them amazed and without thinking he spoke. "Well don't you three look like a cozy lil family." Geralt glanced back and said nothing before they started walking again.

    Quickly catching up he walked on the left side of Ciri who remained silent but often glanced at Selene who was still sound asleep. She looked peaceful, like she didn't have to worry about anything. "She looks peaceful Doesn't she?" Dandelion looked over at Selene's sleeping form and smiled. "She certainly does."

    "That would be because I'm holding her, she feels safe and protected so she can actually sleep without stressing and because she needed sleep." Dandelion nodded. "I swear she acts like a mom most of the time." Everyone was silent at that.

   "Hmm, she would be a great mom in my opinion." Geralt grunted as they walked. It wasn't long until they made it to the Tavern and went inside where the old man grinned. "Master Witcher!" Geralt looked over and smiled. "Hey, I'm here to turn in a job that involved a Kikimora."

    "Ah, the notice I posted a while back. Tell me is Selene alright?" "Hm? Oh yeah, she's just tired so I forced her to take a nap." The old man smiled softly and then noticed Ciri and Jaskir. "And who are these two? Did you and Selene have a daughter?"

     Ciri blinked before she looked at geralt and Selene unsure of what to say and that's when Geralt spoke. "Daughter by choice. How Selene feels I'm unsure." The old man raised an eyebrow. "She looks just like you though." "Mhm...he's right geralt." His golden eyes widened as he heard Selene speak.

    "Do you not understand what the word sleep is?" She weakly laughed. "No, I do, just overheard and woke up a bit...Ciri is someone I would die protecting." The little girl looked away at that. Geralt slowly put  Selene down and she looked at Ciri. "What's the matter?" "Nothing." Selene frowned and looked at the old man and Geralt.

    "What the fuck did I miss while I was half asleep?" "You're still half asleep damnit." She shrugged. "No I want to know what I missed because my daughter is upset and I don't like it" that made everyone in the room go silent and someone even dropped their glass in shock. "What? What did I say?" "I....I'm your daughter?"