Chapter 22

They were finally in Valen, the boat ride had been long and annoying. "I have never been so glad to get off a boat in my life." Lambert only grunted in agreement. "Sel's got a damn point, smells were awful, even from below." All three shuddered at that one. "Don't remind me." Geralt shuddered and he swore if it was still possible would have gotten sick off the smell alone.

    "Right, Shall we head off?" Both men looked at Selene who tilted her head. "Why are you looking at me?" "Because Selene, we're waiting on directions." She blinked still confused. "Sel, we just need to know what direction you wanna go, which town you wanna see first. Hell even if it's a village or a city."

    Said woman was still confused by this. "I'm....I was gonna head East, see if anyone on the road needed help while I decided where else to go." The men looked at each other and nodded. "Right so we'll go with you." Selene rolled her eyes as she climbed onto Ravens back. "I don't need it guys."

    "True but Geralt has already promised, besides maybe the towns notice board will have jobs on it. And we all need work." Selene sighed before she laughed a bit. "Oh alright, I suppose we should stick together then." Geralt smirked as he climbed onto roach and lambert on blaze. "Alright Sel, lead the way." And with that the three Witcher's set off East wondering what was in store for them next.

    "Selene, if this goes right you realize one of us need to contact Uncle Vesemir." Selene looked over at lambert as he spoke, Geralt who was on her right raised an eyebrow. "Yeah I know, we can write the letter. He's hard to miss after all."

    "Or what if we all met up in Kaer Morhen?" Selene looked at Geralt and blinked. "That would make life so much easier. If going there didn't bring back horrible memories." Lambert nodded but remained silent. "But it's also the only place I can get certain herbs, Alright we all meet in Kaer Morhen after we're done our jobs."

    The two grinned at each other before looking at Selene. "Okay, so that means we one need a meet up point for after this." Lambert spoke and crossed his arms.

    "Two, we all go together, I mean it only makes sense. We are all in the same area for once in our lives. So Selene, where should this meet up be?" Selene tilted her head as she looked around and saw a sign saying CrowsPerch. "CrowsPerch, which is where I'm heading now."

    The boys shrugged and followed behind her, while they would take their own jobs they also didn't want Selene traveling alone in Valen just yet.

      It wasn't long until they finally arrived at their destination. Two guards were outside and their jaws dropped at the sight. "I don't believe my eyes." "I don't either mate, it's not just one Witcher, but three." Selene looked over and tilted her bead acknowledging them. Geralt grunted and Lambert was silent.

   "You have no idea how glad we are to see your kind back here in Valen." Selene held up her hand. "Settle down." The guard immediately went silent. "We understand, it's been a year, has it really been that bad?"

   "Oh Miss Witcher, it's been there worst, with your kind refusing to come to Valen the monster population has grown." Selene almost cursed. "I see, if you gentlemen wouldn't mind, moving so I can get through, I'm sure the gentleman behind me could easily catch you both up." And with that Selene walked up the makeshift path while the man stayed behind and secured all three horses.
"Now then, let's chat shall we?"

    Selene was making her way through the small rundown town taking in how the place had seemingly fallen to a state of poverty and she almost frowned, yet she knew that they still had coin. Shaking her head she continued moving, passing through another gate she made her way towards the barons home where the notice bored was usually at.

    As she got closer she could hear the people whispering. Talking about how the freaks and monsters had returned and she scowled. Some were excited to see a Witcher though, especially given the circumstances. Moving even closer Selene was now able to see the notice board and she felt her eyes widen.

   It was covered in a layer of dust, notices and contracts taped over each other, some even on the side, in hopes that it would be seen. Moving closer Selene carefully blew away a bit of the dust before she looked at some of the contracts. Seeing one that called for someone to take care of a group of ghouls she shivered, but none the less went to take it, along with a contract for some drowners.

   Turning her head she finally saw Geralt and Lambert moving towards her and she smiled slightly, that same half smile everyone usually got from her. "You alright Sel?" "Yeah, I'm fine, plenty of jobs to pick from, so I'm gonna head off to see the person who hung two of them since they've requested two different jobs. "Want some company?" Selene looked at lambert and rolled her eyes.

   "Nah, it's just drowners and ghouls." Both men looked at each other before they looked at her. "Sel...." "Selene are you sure you wanna handle the ghouls alone?" She sighed. "Look I know what happened back then, I'm not taking raven this time, and it thankfully shouldn't be no more then 10."

   "then how many did you fucking face last time?" She looked at lambert and so did Geralt, but even he was curious. "Roughly close to 30." Two eyes widened at this. "It's why it should have called for two Witcher's. Tell you what, if it's larger then a group of 10 I'll come find Geralt." "Works for me, lambert?" "Yeah that's fine, I'm gonna take care of some other ones." And with that the three finally split
In favor of tracking down those who wrote the contracts.