Chapter 29

**trigger warning. This chapter has a darker setting**

After Selene finished eating did she decided to go for a walk area the old building, she let Geralt know she just needed a bit of space and while he was a bit upset that he couldn't spend time with her, he knew that she still needed to calm down.

   He watched as she stood up and took her plate to the kitchen before he sighed and rubbed his head trying to chase away the feeling that something was now wrong.

    Selene simply washed off her plate before putting it down to dry and walked back out of the kitchen and through one of the other doors. Looking around the room she walked into she sighed and made her way up the flight of stairs, she knew exactly where she was, and where she was going.

    Looking around she could tell that this part of the building was rarely used as it had layers of dust and a deep musky smell meaning it was in need of a massive clean. However she wasn't in the right state of mind to do that, being here had brought back memories, memories she tried to hard to bury it in the back of her mind, memories of days that were both good and bad. Eventually she reached a landing where she turned down the hall and kept walking till she reached a room that was the farthest to the back.

   Taking a deep breath she put her hand on the dusty door knob and opened the door slowly as to not disturb anything or make much sound. Once she was inside, she simply closed it behind her and stood there for a few moments just staring blankly ahead.

    *flashback*

   It was a hot summers night when Selene and her mother arrived at Kaer Morhen, Selene had tried asking her mother why they had to come here but she was simply told to shut up and be quiet. Her mother grabbed her hand and Selene simply blinked confused before her mother started leading her up the path that would lead them to the school of wolves. "Why are we here ma?"

    "I said be silent Selene, it'll all make sense later." Selene frowned but none the less went silent, her blue eyes looking all around, she could see unusual plants and trees. Occasionally she saw a wild animal or a dear run by but she wasn't able to stop and observe.

  It wasn't long however until they were at the main gates and soon let inside where Selene was once again pulled along by her mother who was suddenly very antsy. Her mother stopped at a pair of heavy wooden doors and knocked on it hard, three times until the door opened and Vesemir frowned. "May I ask who you are and why you're here?" "My name is Meya, and I'm here to give you this."

   Selene was confused at this point, they hadn't brought anything, at least not that she remembered. However it was only after she was shoved into Vesemir and caught before she could fall Did she realize what her mother meant.

  "You know we don't take girls." "Well you'll take this one, she's strong and I'm sure she'll survive." Selene was now scared, she didn't want to be here with people she didn't know, she wanted to be home, in Vesina, with her grandma in the house by the sea and gardens. "Ma?" Her mother looked at her, cold blue eyes were voided of any emotion to show she ever cared about her child.

    Vesemir frowned but realized he was now in a bind, the woman didn't want her child and it upset him, however earlier he had been overruled when he was told they would experiment on a girl to see if she could survive the mutations. "I would like one last word with my daughter." Vesemir nodded and stepped back before hiding behind a wall, this way he would be able to hear the exchange and he hoped the mom would realize this was a mistake.

   "I don't want to be here." The mother didn't acknowledge this she just glared at Selene. "Shut up and stop whining. You're not a baby." Selene's blue eyes widened with hurt before she returned the glare. "There that's better, feel the rage instead Selene. I have one thing I want you to remember, is that understood? It'll be the only way you actually survive." Selene said nothing, she was angry at this point. "No one loves you, not I not your grandma, no one. You are an unloveable child, and no one will ever want you. All that waits for you in this life or the next should you survive, is a cold and empty grave."