Chapter 48

When Selene woke up, it was still early in the afternoon so she realized that she hadn't been asleep long, yet she felt completely rested. Looking next to her she saw that Geralt was still asleep and she smiled. He had this calm peaceful look to his face and she didn't have the heart to wake him so she carefully climbed out of bed and found her clothes.

Once she was completely dressed did she walk out of the room and head tight for the front door of the cottage, she had a kid and a bard to find and she would be damned if something happened to either of them.

As she walked down the path that would lead her into town she hummed a tuneless song. Her silver eyes looking around to see if she could spot the two. As she walked she noticed how there were children running around and laughing as they played. She felt herself smile faintly, while she never had much of a childhood she often found herself wondering if this was what it was like to grow up normally.

Sighing softly she walked further into the town, avoiding the market place until she heard the familiar sounds of a lute and a very familiar voice singing a song she knew all to well. With a sigh she turned around and made her way through the crowd of people. Her goal? Reaching her child before something could happen to her.

Ciri looked up as she saw a woman walking towards them, she felt herself tense but soon relaxed as she saw the familiar silver eyes and the long raven hair. Standing up from her spot she ran over to Selene which had Dandelion stop playing to see what was going on.

Selene opened her arms just as Ciri ran right into them hugging her tightly. "Do you feel better?" Selene nodded and looked at Dandelion. "Come on, we need to head back and discuss a few things. And especially before Geralt wakes up and thinks I ditched him." "You left him alone?" She nodded as the three of them started walking back to the cottage, Ciri holding Selene's hand and Dandelion right behind them.

"Why do you do this to the poor man?" Selene thought for a moment before she finally answered. "It's not intentional. Now had this been before all of this, and before I trusted him, I would have ran without a second thought."

Dandelion was silent for a second before he spoke. "Why is that?" Selene was silent for a while after that question, she wasn't sure how to answer before she decided to tell him the truth. "I didn't want anyone around me, I didn't want to let someone into my life, i didn't want to become important and gods forbid someone became important to me. Because had they died, I would have blamed myself"

Dandelion and Ciri were shocked into silence for a moment. "But it wouldn't have been your fault." She shrugged. "Yes and no. It could have been, had I been around, or just because they simply knew me." "Why didn't you want to be important?" "Because I live...well lived by some very hateful words, words that drove me to isolating myself from everything and everyone. And a few times I almost died and I was relieved, only to wake up and be fully healed."

Dandelion was silent again, he remembered vaguely what she once told him but couldn't remember exactly. "What were those hateful words?" Selene looked at Ciri and sighed. "I swear, if geralt hears me saying this again and he kicks my ass." "I'll take the blame." They all laughed. Before Selene suddenly became serious.

"This is what I lived by, this is what my mother once said to me. 'No one loves you, not I not your grandma, no one. You are an unloveable child, and no one will ever want you. All that waits for you in this life or the next should you survive, is a cold and empty grave.'" No one spoke, Ciri because she was horrified by the words and Dandelion because he knew if he spoke right now all he would do is curse her mothers name.

"I use to believe it as well. Even though Vesemir told me it wasn't true it was so hard to trust someone especially given my past." "And that's why it's the past and will remain in the past." They all looked over to see Geralt standing outside of the cottage leaning against the wall his arms crossed over his chest. "I see you went and found them."

She nodded as she walked towards him and he quickly took her into his arms. "I didn't mean to worry you." He chuckled as he kissed the side of her head. "I could feel that you were nearby. I only worry when the pull is to weak to find you now." She smiled softly and kissed his cheek. "Alright inside, we need to discuss where we are going and what next to do in taking care of Ciri." And with that the four of them went into the cottage and locked the door behind them to discuss where they're going to go.