Chapter 18

It was mid morning the next day, the air was still freezing and the winds outside had yet to stop. Looking out the window Selene frowned as she watched the snow only grow stronger with each second that passed.

    Geralt looked over from his spot on the floor and frowned, why was selene awake and near the window? Slowly standing up he made sure to not wake up Lambert who was still asleep in his spot on the floor before making his way towards Selene.

    Not even thinking he wrapped his arms around her and pulled her back against his chest. "What's on your mind Sel?" Said woman stiffened for a moment before the raspy voice filled her ears and she slowly relaxed. "The storm, I've seen bad ones before but this one is a nightmare."

    Geralt nodded in agreement. "This one does seem pretty bad, hope it lets up soon though, I don't know how long the three of us wish to be trapped inside." Selene sighed at this. "I really don't wanna be stuck in here. Makes me remember those days." He raised an eyebrow. "Which ones?" "The days I was locked in the room while my eyes were changing."

    "Fuck, I didn't even think of that. Just....relax Sel, you have both Lambert and myself, and we won't let anything happen to you." Selene smiled a bit as she leaned against him. "Thank you Geralt." "Of course." And for a few minutes all was silent, the only noise was the howling wind and Lambert snoring on the floor.

    "I was thinking of taking off by myself for a while." Geralt's eyes widened as he heard Selene finally speak. "What? Why? Sel did I do something?" Said woman finally turned around in his arms to face him.

    "No! Gods no, I just need some space I think, I'm not use to always being around people and I like you need to find work." He frowned at this. "We can take jobs together Sel." She sighed. "No, for the simple fact I'm going to Valen for work." He stiffened this time.

   "No." She tilted her head. "You are not going to Valen alone!" This woke up lambert who sat up groaning. "Why not?" "They almost killed you!" She sighed and tried to touch his shoulder but he stopped her.

    "If you go there I'm going with you." "Uh What the fuck are you two fighting about?" That's when they both looked over to see they had woken lambert. "Oops." Geralt just rolled his eyes and spoke.

    "She wants to travel alone." "Okay? I don't see the problem." "The problem is it's to Valen." Lambert went silent at this before clenching his teeth together. "No, not happening, Selene you can travel anywhere you want, just not alone to Valen. Besides with your permission all of us can return and start taking jobs for coin."

   Selene sighed and crossed her arms "yes but I don't know how willing they are to work with us." "So we go together." Selene sighed before rubbing her head. "Fine, for once I'll agree, I have no desire to be stoned again..." "or stabbed." Selene nodded at this. "Or that."

    Geralt looked at Selene then lambert before grabbing Selene by the arm and pulling her against him once more. "Fuck Sel! How long were you in front of the window?"

   Selene blinked before she realized that she was indeed cold. "I don't know, if I'm
Being honest I didn't think it was a long time." Geralt sighed before he walked with her to the fire that lambert had finally started back up.

   Watching as the two sat down he noticed how Selene curled into Geralt, how his arms cradled her against his chest, how the one hand was rubbing her arm and then he saw the way Selene's hair hung loose.

   The raven black hair hung down in loose curls, blue tints in certain light, the way her silver eyes had an Eire glow, yet he knew they weren't. It was just the way her hair framed her face. "This is gonna be random, and I might get hurt, but Selene you're stunning. If I didn't know you, didn't know you were a Witcher, I would have thought you were a deity in human form."  

    Selene blinked completely taken off guard by the compliment and Geralt chuckled. "Glad I wasn't the only one to think this. You're absolutely stunning Sel, like Lambert said a deity in human form." Selene blushed this time and hid her face against Geralt's chest and he smiled rubbing her back.

    "Sorry Sel, we didn't mean to embarrass you." However Selene was oddly silent and geralt frowned before looking down only to realize she had fallen asleep so he chuckled. "What is it?" "She's passed out. Musta been up early watching the snow."

   "Probably, I mean, when we were in Kaer Morhen she would usually hide in the gardens or near the Herbs." Geralt blinked before he smiled down at Selene. "She would. She seems like the type of person who would rather hide among the plants then people."

    Lambert chuckled in agreement. "Yeah, well uncle Vesemir basically grew that garden for her. She was the only female there, and he honestly hated the way she arrived, how her mom...."

    Geralt nodded. "I know, she told me how her mom basically sold her to Vesemir." "Yeah, it was awful, selene hated the sight of all of us at first. She hated Vesemir with a passion. But that day in the cave....I couldn't I couldn't stand the thought of leaving her for dead."

    "What happened exactly? She's quick to skip over that section, like it brings back bad memories." Lambert sighed before leaning back against the wall.

     "She asleep and comfy still?" Geralt looked down at the woman in his arms and shifted which allowed her to completely curl up against him but other wise she stayed asleep. "Yeah she's still asleep."

    "Good, so you know the trial, a few of the others died in that cave, probably why she doesn't like to talk about it much. But, there was this monster, old speartip, he woke up and was bashing in some of the others and in order to save me Selene moved a bit faster then normal, her footsteps still incredibly light and She pushed me out of the way. The movement threw her balance off and she fell, breaking her leg and ankle. She told me
To keep going, that she would catch up. So I actually started to leave her."

    He took a deep breathe. "Speartip wasn't paying attention to her, he wasn't even aware she was there that's how silent she was. But something started to nag at me so I ended up turning back and grabbing her. I carried her out and we headed towards the circle, only stopping long enough for Selene to throw a rock or two to distract them. I helped her limp past and when we finished, she broke down crying, I thought at first it was the pain but she made almost no sound, and till this day I still don't know what made her cry. So I basically sat there and adopted her as my little sister and it just went from there."

    Geralt was silent as he held Selene occasionally running his hands through her hair. "She left a year after you did, and the year before I did. And with that it became hard to find her, tracking her was almost impossible, and don't even get us started on trying to communicate with letters." Geralt chuckled. "Yeah, I could
Only imagine." And with that he grabbed his cloak and covered Selene. "How much more firewood does she have in the back?"

    "Not much Im afraid, she doesn't stay long so she doesn't over stock although I believe she should Incase of times like this." Geralt frowned before he went to pick up Selene. "Where are you going?" "I'm gonna put her in her bed, while I would prefer to hold her, I also know she needs the rest of the wood she has outside." Thats when Lambert stopped him.

    "I got it, it's just out back and i would rather you keep Selene warm."'Geralt debated for a moment before he shifted and laid down holding Selene closer, her head on his chest he simply nodded and lambert walked out. Only to come in moments later to see both Selene and geralt knocked out on the floor and he could only laughed. "Yep, this is one fucked up family. But...she's got Geralt now, so maybe she'll be okay after all." He was talking to himself yeah, but he was also happy, happiest he's been in a while. So shrugging his shoulders he put down the fire wood and promptly fell asleep.