Chapter 1

Zivah's POV

It feels good to be miles away from all of the dramas of my life. I smiled inwardly as I looked up in the sky. It was the same as the one I was so used to seeing in New York but something about this one gave me affinity. I felt like I belonged here. I felt happy for the first time in days or maybe in months.

I took a long breath not before coughing hard with the present pollution of Delhi.

Cody barked loudly who was sitting on the ground beside me as I sat on one of my suitcases. We were waiting outside the airport, on the roadside for our booked Ola cab to arrive. We grabbed some eyeballs which were not surprising as we clearly looked out of place. I was in my loose t-shirt perfectly tucked into my jeans, paired with a cardigan and boots. My long hairs were tied in half-bun. I was clearly not dressed for hot weather. I regretted not thinking this through as I waited under the sun.

I haven't been to Delhi for years. I don't even remember when I came here last time. Wait! Maybe I know. It was when I was in school for Dada and Dadi's anniversary. I hope I'm not wrong about it.

Although I haven't visited Delhi in years, my grandparents made sure to visit us in New York. Even Uncle, Aunt and Alizeh visit us often. So there wasn't any necessity to visit India. Besides, we don't have any other family members living here except for them. Most of our relatives are settled abroad and I have no idea about them. I haven't even met most of my relatives, I just know I have a lot of them. I've witnessed that in some family wedding that I attended here in my school days, I think I was too small then. But I clearly remember the crowd, the hustle and the celebration. Also, Dadi always narrates stories about the old times when all were here, in Delhi, living under the same roof. It still goes over my head; how did so many people live together without any conflicts in those days when today just two people can't even unjust together.

I sighed as I looked at the speeding vehicles and took off my specs and wiped the lenses with my cardigan. Putting them back on my nose, I looked at Cody, lifting my eyebrows and smiling at him. He yawned looking back at me as I put my hand over his head and caressed him. I felt bad as he has to travel with me everywhere and this time coming from cold weather to hot weather suddenly, surely has affected him. But this poor boy doesn't let it show ever.

He just comes with me happily without showing any hardships on his face. That's why they say a dog is the pure form of love. If you want to witness some unconditional love then you must own a dog. You'll never feel lonely ever again. That's how I feel. With no one around me to share my emotions with, Cody is the only one who has always been there with me.

My phone started ringing loudly jerking me a bit as I came out of my never-ending thoughts.

I tapped on the green button and answered the call. It was my Ola cab driver, I instructed him as to where am I at the airport. Within a few minutes, he arrived. Thankfully, he was generous enough to let Cody in without any argument. And I was glad for that as I had no energy to fight with anyone right now after the long tiring flight.

I haven't told anyone about my arrival as I wanted to surprise Dada, Dadi, and Alizeh. I got the address from Mom and instructed her not to inform them about anything but I don't know as no one has ever listened to me.

I sometimes just wish I was born in some normal family where people would have actually cared about each other, unlike mine. They just have money to buy me all kinds of comfort and sometimes or most of the time, that's not enough. There are some things in life that hold more value than money like love, understanding, and compassion which my parents don't know, unfortunately.

I looked out of the window at the busy city which was still a stranger to me. Yet this place felt more homely than my house back in New York. I moved my gaze to Cody who started moving his tail rapidly as he licked my cheek, already sensing my mood. I let out a chuckle.