Chapter 12

Zivah's POV

I closed the book and put a bookmark in between the pages as I heard my mobile ring loudly. Cody barked as it made a disturbance between his sleep. I let out a chuckle, adjusting my specs on my nose as I made my way towards the bedside table where my mobile was lying.

My smile vanished immediately as I read the caller ID. I felt a fear surpassing me. I debated whether should I pick up the call or not. But not picking up was out of the question at the moment. I took a few deep breaths to calm my rising heartbeat.

I answered the call and took the phone to my ears, pressing it a little tightly.

"Why did it take so long to answer?" Dad's hard voice said sounding annoyed with a loud voice. I gulped with fear.

"I was in the washroom," I said in a low voice trying to sound calm and composed.

"Do you have any plan to come back or are you going to settle there?" He asked again, this time making his louder tone to normal again.

"I'm thinking of coming back in a couple of months, Dad." I said calmly, "We have already talked about it."

I didn't hear any sound from the other end. I gained courage and spoke again.

"You both agreed to give me 3 months maximum." I finished waiting for him to speak.

"I'm so disappointed in you, Zivah." He said in a low voice after some time. My heart dropped. I didn't expect this kind of response from him.

Tears started to gather in my eyes making the surrounding blur. I stayed quiet.

"I had high expectations but all you did is let me down." He said again when a tear finally dropped from my eye and traveled down my cheek.

Funny how I let him down after going through all of the shit my entire life. I have always listened to what he said. I worked my ass off just for them to be proud of me but... But till today I haven't heard a single word of appreciation from them, which can make me feel better, which can make me feel that I have done enough, I have given my best. Sure! I might be lacking but at least a few good words from them would have given me the strength to try harder.

But I never heard them. All I have always heard was how I have disappointed them. Every damn time. Sometimes, I think I'm the biggest burden of their lives.

"I wonder how Ma and Papa are okay with it," Dad said further. Tears were rolling down my cheeks continuously.

"Dad..." I said with a broken voice, "At least you could have asked how am I doing." I heard a laugh from the other side which sent unpleasant shivers to my entire body.

"You are on vacation so must be enjoying your stay at your grandparent's home." He said sarcastically.

"Still..." I said stubbornly, "It would have been a little better."

I'm going to be a rebel. I'm going to oppose now.

Stay strong, Zivah. You can get through this.

"Did you do anything to make us feel better? To make us feel proud of you?" Dad asked again stating his disappointment further. "All you have done is to have your ways without bothering about people." He said further.

I felt anger and helplessness building inside of me. I've done everything to make them proud, I've lived my entire life according to them, never disobeyed them and still, they say I haven't done enough. The truth is no matter what I do or how much I stay obedient to them, I'll never be enough for them, they will never appreciate me. And still, they blame it on me saying I'm getting things done in my ways, coming to Delhi was the only one thing I did where I went against them. If I wouldn't have done that I would have forever been trapped and I'm happy I decided to do this.