Birds Of A Feather Flock Together, Until The Cat Comes (one-shot)

im on an angst high whoo

   ~*~

The moment he set foot in season 7, Cub knew something was off. There was a numbing cold in his veins and he felt strangely empty, almost like something was missing.

Or someone.

The day he was confronted by the Vex, he knew he had to do something.

"Player," a familiar tinkly voice jingled, it's sound echoing through his ears. He turned to see a singular vex floating in midair, its usual plastic smile twisted into a frown.

"Oh hi," Cub greeted, tucking the last of his stuff in a shulker box. "Got some business for me I assume?"

"Don't play dumb with us Cubfan," it hissed, the tattered wings on its back flaring out. "Haven't felt something strange? Like something's gone wrong?"

Cub shrugged. "I mean yeah, but I just assumed it was just a side effect from coming to a new server."

It gave an exasperated sigh, shaking its head. "No you idiot. Something happened to Scar."

Cub's eyes widened. "What happened?" he demanded, stepping towards it. "Did he get hurt?"

"We're not sure," the vex replied, satisfied with his reaction. "But we can no longer connect with him. We can't even trace him down." A sword appeared in its hand and it flipped it nonchalantly. "We need you to find him and ask him about this whole situation."

Before Cub could say anything, the vex suddenly glitched out and vanished. He swore under his breath but stepped into his boat anyways with a huff. He hadn't seen Scar basically all season so he wanted to check up on him anyways.

As he rowed across the quiet sea, Cub had a lot of time to think. What could Scar have done to loose connection with the Vex? It was impossible to leave them, even if you wanted to, unless he...

He made a deal with someone else.

Cub pushed the thought away, along with the feeling of dread in his stomach. Scar would never! He knew making a deal would permanently break his connection with the Vex and besides, why would he want to leave? The Vex gave them everything they could ever want!

Nearing the jungle and the overwhelming that came with it (Cub never understood how anyone could last in there longer than 10 minutes), Cub felt a sudden jolt of energy that ran through him.

"What the-?" He stared down at himself and saw the dull blue veins that usually rested on his arms suddenly crawling up to his fingertips, now glowing brightly and sparking a bit.

He shook it off, just suspecting it was the Vex getting defensive, and walked through the jungle. The vines seemed to shift slightly and turn towards him, almost like they were watching him, and an eerie silence fell over the forest. A familiar, comforting laugh suddenly filled his ears, followed by a warm voice.

"Careful G!" came Scar's wonderfully light voice, unfortunately speaking that nickname Cub silently hated. He pushed the twinge of jealousy away; Grian was his friend.

Peeking through the foliage, Cub could see Grian and Scar. Grian was scrambling down from a tree, brightly colored wings flared out on his back. Vines were wrapped around his wrists, ankles, and wings, and seemed to be aiding in getting down.

As soon as Cub glanced over at Scar, he immediately regretted it. A bright green glowed emitted from Scar's hands and a glowing arcane circle was beneath his feet, slowly spinning. Cub desperately wanted to tell himself he'd just found something magical, but looking at the dark green diamond-shaped pupils in his emerald eyes, he couldn't lie to himself any longer.

Scar was no longer part of the Vex.

Cub was numb for a few moments before letting pure rage fill him. Scar knew what would happen! Scar knew the consequences!

I can't believe him! Cub thought, gritting his teeth together. He left me! Without even telling me! He sighed, but suddenly let a grimace make it's way up his face, a plan beginning to form in his mind.

Well maybe he needs a reminder of what he's left behind.

Days later, Cub was stood proudly in front of his creation, watching the end crystals shine their rays up to a point. The Vex had helped him out with glitching out the end crystals (without Xisuma's knowledge) and it turned out fantastic!

"Wow!" said a voice. Cub looked over and scoffed, seeing Scar staring up at it with wide eyes. "That looks amazing!"

"Thanks," Cub replied stiffly, shoving his picked back into his inventory. "Nothing a little vex magic couldn't handle."

Scar's eyes suddenly widened in horror and he clapped his hands over his mouth. "I- Cub- uh," he stammered, searching for words to say.

"Nice seeing you too Scar," Cub spat, saying his name like it was the worse venom ever. He turned on his heels and stalked away, ignoring Scar's desperate cries behind him.

"Cub I'm sorry! I'm so so sorry! Please come back! CUB!"

"You made your decision, now you have to deal with consequences."

   ~*~

imagine how dramatic this scene would be animated and dubbed like damn (also Cub angst is underrated)