A Cabinet Meeting

The cabinet meeting started in an hour, I was sitting in my dad's office while he was talking to Hamilton about something. I was reading Romeo and Juliet. 

"Hey George can I talk to you about something?" A voice asked. I looked up from my book to see Thomas Jefferson in the doorway. 

"Oh sorry Ms. Washington I thought your dad was in here," He said. 

"No he's talking to Hamilton about something. He's been gone for almost an hour though," I said. I stuck my nose back in my book. Thomas sat down next to me. 

"What are you reading?" He asked. 

"Romeo and Juliet," I responded, my eyes not leaving the page. Thomas laughed. 

"You are sucked into that book, aren't you Ms. Washington," He said, chuckling to himself. 

"Yeah it's my favorite book," I said. Before I could even think the book was snatched out my hand. 

"Hey!" I yelled. Thomas held the book above his head so I couldn't get it. "Give it back!" Thomas laughed at my request. 

"Have you even been outside today Ms. Washington?" He asked. 

"Yeah earlier when you showed up," I responded. Thomas laughed. 

"Before I have serious discussions or debates with people, I like to take walks. Would you like to join me Ms. Washington?" He asked. 

"Sure Mr. Jefferson," I said. He put the book down on my dad's desk before leading  me outside. The air was crisp and the sun was beginning to set. We began to walk around the park next to the cabinet building. 

"So Ms. Washington you are of that age, have you been courted yet?" He asked. I felt my eyes roll. 

"No. My father has been practically begging me to get married, but I am not about to marry someone for fame or money. If I get married I am going to marry for love," I said.

"Oh sorry I didn't know. I just wanted to ask because you are so beautiful," He purred. I felt goosebumps crawl down my body. Did he really just say that. My heart beat grew faster. Did he like me. 

"Y/n!" A voice bellowed. I turned around. It was Hamilton. I have never been happier to see Hamilton. I ran over to him. 

"Alex what do you need?" I asked. He showed me his green coat. One of the buttons had popped off. 

"I have the button, thread and a needle. Is there anyway you can fix this Y/n. My mother never taught me how to sew," Hamilton said. Jefferson started cackling. 

"Your clothes are so cheap the buttons can't even stay on!" Jefferson laughed. Alexander started fuming. 

"At least I don't look like a walking bed spread," Hamilton yelled. Thomas started to stand up straight, clenching his hand into a fist. 

"Well at least I'm not a whore's son," He said. Hamilton started running towards Jefferson while yelling, "HOW DARE YOU TALK ABOUT MY MOTHER THAT WAY!" Before I fight could break out I stood in between the two men. 

"Y/n get out of the way I don't want to hurt you," Hamilton said. 

"Hey Alex, let's go back to your office and maybe I can teach you how to sew on a button," I said. 

"That sounds lovely Y/n," Alex remarked. He grabbed my arm and dragged me to his office. 

~About an hour time skip~ 

"So it's that easy to sew on a button?" Hamilton asked as I handed him back his jacket. 

"Yeah, it takes a bit of practice though," I replied. There was a knock at the door. It was my dad. 

"Hamilton, Y/n it's time for the cabinet meeting," He said. We quickly got up. Jefferson was already in his place and was talking to James Madison about something. I felt my cheeks burn up when I was Thomas again. Did I like him? No I can't he's 28 years older than me. Then again some people marry people 40 years older than them. No I can't think about him like that. I sat in a chair as my dad began the meeting. 

"Ladies and gentlemen, you coulda been anywhere in the world tonight But you're here with us in New York City. Are you ready for a cabinet meeting?" My dad asked. Everyone erupted in applause. "The issue on the table Secretary Hamilton's plan to assume state debt and establish a national bank, Secretary Jefferson, you have the floor, sir." 

Thomas smirked as he began to speak, "Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness We fought for these ideals we shouldn't settle for less These are wise words, enterprising men quote 'em Don't act surprised, you guys, 'cause I wrote 'em!" People started cheering, but Thomas continued, "But Hamilton forgets his plan would have the government assume state's debts. Now, place your bets as to who that benefits, the very seat of government where Hamilton sits." 

"NOT TRUE!" Hamilton quickly yelled. This caused Thomas to smirk again, happy with the response he had gotten out of Hamilton. "Oh, if the shoe fits, wear it If New York's in debt why should Virginia bear it? Uh, our debts are paid, I'm afraid, Don't tax the South 'cause we got it made in the shade. In Virginia, we plant seeds in the ground we create, you just wanna move our money around. This financial plan is an outrageous demand and it's too many damn pages for any man to understand! Stand with me in the land of the free and pray to God we never see Hamilton's candidacy Look, when Britain taxed our tea, we got frisky Imagine what gon' happen when you try to tax our whisky." With that Thomas backed away, somehow smirking harder. Alex looked like a tea kettle filled with boiling water. 

"Thank you, Secretary Jefferson Secretary Hamilton, your response," My dad said. "Thomas, that was a real nice declaration Welcome to the present, we're running a real nation.  Would you like to join us, or stay mellow Doin' whatever the hell it is you do in Monticello?" The crowd, including me irrupted in applause. I was not trying to take sides, but I really did like Hamilton's debt plan and that was a damn good line. Alexander began to speak again, "If we assume the debts, the union gets new line of credit, a financial diuretic How do you not get it, if we're aggressive and competitive The union gets a boost, you'd rather give it a sedative? A civics lesson from a slaver, hey neighbor Your debts are paid 'cause you don't pay for labor We plant seeds in the South. We create. Yeah, keep ranting We know who's really doing the planting."

The crowd screamed for Alex again, "And another thing, Mr. Age of Enlightenment Don't lecture me about the war, you didn't fight in it You think I'm frightened of you, man? We almost died in a trench While you were off getting high with the French! Thomas Jefferson, always hesitant with the President Reticent there isn't a plan he doesn't jettison Madison, you're mad as a hatter, son, take your medicine Damn, you're in worse shape than the national debt is in! Sittin' there useless as two shits Hey, turn around, bend over, I'll show you where my shoe fit!" Everyone screamed even louder after that one. 

My dad practically had to pull Hamilton off of Jefferson, "Excuse me, Madison, Jefferson, take a walk Hamilton, take a walk, we'll reconvene after a brief recess, Hamilton," 

"Sir," Hamilton responded. 

"A word," My dad said sternly. The crowd began to file out. I saw Jefferson and my father talking to Hamilton. When they were done talking I went to go find my dad, only to find Jefferson in his office instead. 

"Mr. Jefferson have you seen my father?" I asked. He quickly turned around. He looked flustered, as if he was looking at something he wasn't suppose to. 

"Ah Ms. Washington I think he's still talking to Hamilton," he said approaching me, "and I wanted to apologize for what I said earlier in the park and if it made you uncomfortable." 

"No Thomas, it's okay," I said. Before I could even think I felt something on my lips. 

It was Thomas Jefferson's lips. 

A/n hope you enjoyed the second part!