C.39

"i.. there's no other way?" yoonhwa asked her eyebrows furrowing slightly. jaehyun sighed and he shook his head his eyes landed on her. she could clearly see the concern in his eyes.

"i'll do it" she stated gripping the hem of her shirt. jaehyun didn't seem to hear her and he started walking around the room.

yoonhwa pursed her lips. if there's no other way that she'll have to do it. the survival rate is low but she just hope that she'll survive.

she don't want to burden other people. but what if she dies? she'll get to see her parents. right at that moment, a familiar face appeared in her mind.

"i'll stay with you"

haechan's voice rang in her head. he did stayed with her until she fall asleep. he pretty much took care of her. an unknown small smile formed on her lips.

"jaehyun.." yoonhwa called out to her brother who was pacing around the room. it was just the two of them at that time. he needs to talk to her. jaehyun stopped and went towards her.

"it's risky yoonhwa" he stated worry written all over his face. the conversation he had with the doctor a two days ago came into his mind.

"she's okay for now. mr jung may i speak with you?" the doctor glanced at jaehyun and he nodded before both of them went out of the ward.

jaehyun closed the door shut before he faced the young doctor named kim seokjin. he was quite familiar with the doctor because he was the one who gave yoonhwa her medicines and treated her.

"what is it?" seokjin sighed hesitating whether he should tell him or not. "is this about yoonhwa? just tell me what it's about" jaehyun was feeling uneasy seeing seokjin's look.

"i'm afraid she doesn't have much time left" he started. jaehyun clenched his fists and took deep breaths to calm himself down.

"aren't there any way to save her?" his voice was shaky. even the thought of his beloved younger sister not being alive scared him.

"surgery"

"then i'll talk to yoonhwa-"

"there's one thing though" seokjin cutted him off quickly. jaehyun pursed his lips waiting for him to continue.

"a patient with heart problems undergoing common surgical procedures have a substantially higher risk of operative mortality" he explained which made jaehyun a bit confused. but he realised what it means.

"she might die after 30 days even if the surgery went well" seokjin went to grab jaehyun's shoulder giving it a light squeeze.

"but yoonhwa will.. you know, die. it has high chance but i know she'll survive. she's strong, jaehyun" seokjin said trying to reassure him.

"why don't you go and ask yoonhwa first. if she agrees then i'll have her do echocardiogram test and set the date of the surgery" jaehyun nodded his head and bowed showing respect to him before he went inside.

"jaehyun. i told you i'll do it" yoonhwa's voice brought him back to reality. he reached for her hand holding it tight. jaehyun stared her feeling sad all of the sudden.

yoonhwa gave him a sincere smile. "i'll be fine" she said trying not to stutter. jaehyun pulled her small body towards him embracing it as if it'll be his last time holding her.

"you're the only one i have left. i don't want to lose my sister too" he said hugging her tighter. her vision were starting to get blurry as tears welled up in her eyes.

"that's why i'll do the surgery. i don't want to burden you" she replied biting her lower lip fighting with the urge to cry so bad.

"i love you, lil' sis" jaehyun said his right hand caressing her head like he always do. that's when she couldn't hold the tears anymore. her grip on jaehyun's shirt tightened.

"i'm scared" her voice was quite shaky. "i don't want to die. i don't want to leave you" jaehyun broke the hug wiping the tears with his thumb smiling down at her. he was crying too.

seeing him like that saddened her more. yoonhwa hugged him again as his warmth spread all across her body. her sobs getting uncontrollable.

they didn't realise that someone was hearing to their conversation outside of the room. haechan's grip on the door loosened and he let his hand fell to his sides.

he didn't mean to hear what they were talking about. it just happened that he was there at the wrong time. hearing her voice that was clear that she's hurt and scared hit him.

his head was dropped down his bangs covering his eyes. he heard her cries and he felt his chest tightening as an unfamiliar feeling engulf him.

haechan clenched his fists spun his heels around and walked away with a single tear rolling down his right cheek.

i wonder if she'll survive.