C.40

yoonhwa leaned forward feeling the cold night breeze brushed against her skin- her hand on the windowsill. she couldn't sleep.

the doctor said she'll be doing the surgery in about three days. doctor kim seokjin has been the one treating her since she was still a kid after she finally met jaehyun. he was almost like a brother figure to her.

"i wonder if i can see them again" she mumbled to herself and sighed. her ear caught a faint voice calling out to her. yoonhwa looked around until her eyes saw a certain someone outside of the building looking up at her.

"hyuck?" her eyebrows rose in confusion. he extended his arms forward his face was blank. "jump down!" he shouted and her eyes widened.

"are you crazy? this is the third floor!" he ran his fingers through his hair thinking something and motioned for her to wait for him. yoonhwa watched as he ran inside the building.

"what is he doing?" she murmured staring up the sky. that night was the full moon. the moon light shone brightly that even the stars were dim around it.

the door slide opened and she immediately turned around to see him panting for air. after stabilising his breath he went closer towards her. she shivered when there was suddenly a strong wind coming inside the room.

haechan took his jacket off and placed it on her body to warm her. "do you want to walk around for a bit?" before she could say anything he grabbed her hand pulling her out of the room.

yoonhwa followed him as both of them went out of the hospital building. there were a small park in front of the hospital and haechan brought her there. they began walking around in a slow pace.

"hyuck.. why are we-" she stopped herself when he intertwined their fingers together. her heart started to beat faster and there was a weird feeling building inside her.

"i overheard your conversation with jaehyun the other day." yoonhwa pursed her lips when she saw the look in haechan's eyes. he looked scared for some reason.

she dropped her head down. "will you actually do the surgery?" he asked. she nodded her head refusing to look him in the eye. a soft chuckle left his lips and he tilted his head to see her clearly.

"why are you looking so sad? it's not like you'll die or something. i'm sure you'll survive. besides, this surgery will save you" he said his gaze softening.

yoonhwa bit her lower lip. her left hand that he wasn't holding was clenched tight. her lips trembling.

"i'm not in the position to stop you with what you already decide to do- i just.." he said taking a deep breath before he continued: "i can't afford losing you" he mumbled quietly but enough for her to hear it.

yoonhwa raised her head up to see him already staring her. "why..? why do you cared about me so much? you've been acting differently these past weeks" haechan's grip on her hand tightened.

"that's because-!" he cutted himself off. his voice seemed to stuck down his throat. he didn't have the courage to say it. his adam's apple bobbed and he pulled her hand as they started walking again.

she was a bit taken aback when he raised his voice. why did he stopped? she had an idea but refused to believe it. it was quite impossible.

there was a long silence between them. she was starting to slow down her eyes staring their connected hands. a small smile appearing on her lips. haechan turned around when she suddenly halted.

"what's wrong? does your chest hurt again?" he asked worry laced in his tone. yoonhwa shook her head looking up at him meet in with his gaze.

"hyuck" she started. he hummed in response waiting for her to continue what she wanted to say. "i never told you this before.."

"but your hands are so warm" she mumbled sheepishly. haechan's mouth made a thin straight line. the side of his lips tugged upwards.

withiut thinking he wrapped his arms around her smaller frame and hid his face in her hair. her vanilla scent filling him. yoonhwa's eyes widened when he suddenly hugged her.

"i'm going to pray every single day that you'll live during and after the surgery. you have to. and when you do i promise you that i will keep you safe. i don't want to see you hurt anymore" his voice was like a whisper that was reassuring her that everything will be okay.

yoonhwa hugged him back fighting back the urge to cry. "i- i.." she couldn't find the correct words to say back to him. she could feel his heart beating faster than its normal pace.

"yoonhwa" her grip around him tightened slightly. she wasn't ready with his next words. the tears started to stream down her cheeks. she was having mixed emotions.

"i like you"