Chapter 42

Hydron's P.O.V

After the battle ended, the field was decimated. It will repair itself before the next battle of course.

I carried Grace in my arms and felt a different emotion. It wasn't affection, it was just remorse of my actions. I had never felt such a guilt before in my life. It brought me back to the promise Grace and I made to each other long ago.

We had been playing together or a while and it was my eighth birthday. My father was too busy with 'business' to celebrate with me. Instead, he casted me to one of the many nannies lounging around.

I was busy sulking outside when I see Grace saunter towards me with a confused look.

"Why so glum?" She asked, "You're eight now. Shouldn't you be excited?"

I shook my head, "No one wants to celebrate. My father barely cares."

"Hey let's stop fussing over him. We can hang out. Come on, I have a plan set in motion just for you today."

She took me by the hand and led me through Vestal and I was astounded on how crafty she was at such a young age. She took me to all the cool places in Alpha City.

By the end of the day we were sharing an ice cream sundae together and chatted.

"Now that you're eight, does that mean we can't be friends anymore?" Grace asked in a worried tone.

I blinked widely at her lost for words. Where did such a thought come from?

"Of course, not Grace. You turn eight in a few months," I remind her and she frowns.

"I know Hydron, but that's a few months. I turned four and within a few months my parents died. What if you turn eight and in a few months, I'm not good enough to be your friend."

"Grace, that'll never happen. You're my best friend. If I ever become rude and leave, then you have to knock some sense into me."

Grace nodded her head and I knew thinking of her parents would dampen her mood so I pushed the ice cream towards her and accidentally spilled some on her shirt.

"Sorry Grace," I apologized and she showed a wicked grin.

"No, I'm sorry," she said and 'accidentally' shot some ice cream at me with her spoon.

By the end of it, we got kicked out of the shop for disturbing the guests and ruining the ice cream. We headed onto a field and admired the passing clouds.

"Hey Hydron," Grace asks and I nod my head, "Yeah."

"If something bad happens I'll always have your back even if it may not look like it."

"Me too, Grace."

I hoped that promise was still in effect. Staring at Grace now made me sad. We had such great times together... As friends. Nothing more. Maybe things weren't meant to be and looking at what I've done to her has caused her so much pain. Instead of trying to mend the past, I should look on towards the future. If she'll forgive me.

Grace's P.O.V

My vision was fuzzy as I wake up. I grimaced remembering my defeat to Hydron. A bitter taste was left in my mouth at the idea of him. How could we have been friends.

In the back of my mind though, I recalled Hydron's eighth birthday where we promised to be friends till the end. What happened to that? Now we were enemies.

My vision focused on the figure leaning against the wall. My anger churned inside me and I tried to move, but found myself stuck.

"I wouldn't try to move. Then again, you can't really," Hydron shrugged and I looked down at my situation.