XXXII: Memories [2/2]

"But ... why did you get admitted in the hospital?"

I took a deep breath before replying. I had a quick debate on whether to say it or not. "Don't tell this to anyone okay?"

"I might have not told you this earlier but I have short term memory. Which means I dont remember the non important stuff. I remember my family and friends though, they're the most important. I go to the hospital at least once I week but I didnt want to burden my family anymore, so I decided to stay" So were like complete oposites. She forgets while I remember. "I'm just saying that you can trust me"

"Okay ... I have hyperthymesia. Which is a case that makes me remember everything. I didnt became admitted because of this, actually I also have PTSD or Post traumatic stress disorder"

"What makes you scared?"

"I usually lie when people ask me this but I'll tell you the truth. Men, I'm afraid of men. I was ... almost harassed by a relative. But I dont want to really dive into detail. So it gave me a trauma which diagnosed as PTSD but thanks to my hyperthymesia, it gets worse. So I may say that it's a gift and a curse"

"Are you okay now? And what happened to your relative?"

"I'm still healing. But about that ... they dont really know what happened" so I guess only me and Hyewon unnie knows my story.

"Don't worry. I'll be here with you, and i'll try to store that in my long term so that you wont have to repeat that memory"

And that was the start of our friendship

End of flashback

After realizing my meeting with Hyewon unnie two years ago. I finally became calm.

"Hmmm ... We should go back to the hospital. But ..."

"But?" She was looking at me with a grin in her expression. She stayed outside since yesterday but she doesnt look that dirty or anything.

"We should eat! We could look for a cafe around here" I looked at her and then nodded. I actually saw a cafe earlier when I was looking for her. I stood up and pulled up my hood then guided her to the place.

We arrived as I looked around for a decent table. I found one that was just for two people. She told me that she'd order. She came back with two drinks and three slices of cake. She gave me the drink and placed a chocolate slice in front of me.

"Eat. It's dark, it'll make you feel better" I dont know how she knows that but I did read that in the internet once. I started eating as she started as well. She finished her cake slice first but what makes me confused is the other slice. "Who's the other cake slice for?"

"Me, I didn't eat much since yesterday. I ate ice cream and bread for brunch" Aishhh ... good thing she brought money or else she'd starve at the park.

"AHAHA I remembered the cake on my first birthday at the hospital" she looked at me while still taking bites on her cake. "Why? What happened?"

"I ate the first slice" the memory feels so fresh and I just love it. "What's wrong with that?"

"Then you ate the rest!" we both laughed as she focused on her cake to remove embarrassment.

"Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you!~"

"Happy birthday Minju!" Yena unnie went to me and gave me a gift. It was a book, she knows that I like to read.

"Here's the cake!!!" Eomma went and placed the cake on the table. "Where are the others?" It was only me and Yena unnie in the room.

The nurses came, brought balloons and other food. We just enjoyed the mini celebration with the few of us.

"HELLO! HAPPY BIRTHDAY MINJOOO!" Hyewon unnie came after shouting outside. She sat next to me and looked at the food in awe.

We all started eating the food that the nurses brought. I blew the cake and we sang a few songs. Later on Eomma bid her goodbye and left.

It was only Me, Hyewon unnie and Yena unnie here in the room.

"Since you already blown your cake, how about we eat?" Yena unnie suggested as I agreed. I took the first slice then ate. Yena unnie asked me if we could just share the slice since she's already leaving. So I agreed for us to share the slice. Hyewon unnie on the other hand ate the cake directly. Later on she finished the whole cake just for herself. "Sorry I ate your cake, i'll buy you a new one!"

"No need, you already gave me a gift!" She might've forgotten her gift for me. But she gave it yesterday. "I did?"

"You gave me a notebook, though I dont really need it. I love that you bought us matching ones" she smiled as she felt proud of herself.

I called Yena unnie so that they could be relieved. We just finished eating our cakes as we went back to the hospital.

"Never go running off again" she nodded as she kept on sipping her smoothie. "Don't worry, even if I do. I know you'll find me"