ix. secrets of the elves

╔═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╗

𝑪𝑯𝑨𝑷𝑻𝑬𝑹 𝑵𝑰𝑵𝑬
❝ 𝒔𝒆𝒄𝒓𝒆𝒕𝒔 𝒐𝒇 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒆𝒍𝒗𝒆𝒔 ❞

╚═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╝

VERA NEVER KNEW WHO HER FATHER was

VERA NEVER KNEW WHO HER FATHER was. Roughly around the age of three, he passed away due to unknown reasons, a few years after her grandparents's deaths and her mother's marriage with him.  So, it is only natural for Vera to perceive family differently. Vera assumed he was the perfect figure; a strong King, a charming husband, a kind person, and a great father. Since no one really told her otherwise, she resumed her life that way.

Marella rarely spoke about her husband,
but Vera heard the servants speak highly of him. The girl would be lying if she said she didn't wish for more time with her family. Her grandparents, from the faint memories of when she was born, were quite warm, and adored Vera with all their hearts until they fell victim to a sickness.

For a short while in Vera's life, she questioned the Valar why she wasn't given as much time with her family as she wanted.

Vera pitied Neptune. Her little brother never got the chance to meet his adoring grandparents and barely remembers their father, only living on the impression Vera created and told him. When Vera and Neptune were eight, they asked their mother about their father but never got an answer from the mermaid. Later that night, the boy confessed to Vera that he wished he spent more time with their father, and dry-sobbed his way to morning. Ever since that night, Vera acquired a tremendous hatred towards death and the victims it took cruelly.

As Vera admires the view, with Lord Elrond by her side, she couldn't help but wonder how life would be if her father was still in the picture. Moreover, it seemed that Vera isn't the only one lost in thought, for Elrond's eyes glaze over. Memories and wishes, similar to Vera's, consume his head, a reminder of the life he could've had but never got. Feeling the familiar envelope of sadness, he pushes his thoughts away and glances at the girl next to him.

"Have you ever lost somebody?" Elrond suddenly asks, his voice distant and dark, grabbing Vera's attention. Slightly taken aback, she nods quietly.

"Yeah," she answers, her tone quiet with thought. "A long time ago. But I never really knew him, so I do not believe I have much — if anything — to mourn over."

"It does not matter if you knew him or not, Vera. The loss of someone always brings sadness and misery, and that fact does not strip you of the right to grieve," Elrond replies, glancing at the girl in discontent.

Vera averts her eyes to the ground as she smiles bitterly. "Oh, wise words from the thousand-year-old elf," she says sarcastically.

Ignoring the sassy remark from the female, Elrond turns to look back at the homely view before him. "You remind me of someone I once knew."