Chapter five

Dinner started quietly then dad dropped his fork and cleared his throat.
"Honey, I know you just came back and you need to rest but there is something I would like to tell you." he started. I looked at him, then he continued "You didn't know this but the company has been having issues for sometime now. We had to let go of some of the staffs." he concluded took his fork and continued his meal. I was dumbfounded, he was joking right, I looked at my mum and she wasn't her normal cheerful self.

"But dad, there is something we can do right?, those people have families, mouths to feed, children to train." I asked feeling my throat squeeze at the thought of them jobless, homeless and hopeless too.
"As a matter of fact, there is something we can do." dad intercepted.
"Then why haven't you done that." I asked. He stared at me for a while and said "I did" he stopped talking waiting for me to urge him.
"And?"
"Honey, it isn't that simple." he finished. What does he mean by it isn't that simple but before I could ask him to tell me more, mum interfered asking me to finish my meal first then we could talk more. I have lost my appetite. I thanked them stood and left to the kitchen with the remaining food, dropped the plate on the counter and went back to the living room.

I waited for dad to finish his meal, going through my phone and deleted all the pictures I took with Liam, his number and all his messages both voice and texts. Dad was already done eating and pointed towards his office to meet him there. I just hope he will listen to what I have to say about the issue. Entering his office, looking around, everything looked different. Seems he did some changes, it looks much better now. Sitting opposite him, mum stood behind him holding his shoulder.

Then dad spoke after a while "Susan?"
Dad never called me by my full name unless I was in trouble or what he has to say was serious. I answered starting to feel nervous, he continued "There is a way to change everything but it comes at a very high cost." he said softly.
"Dad, please just tell me what it is, I want to help." I spoke out.
He sighed while mum massaged he shoulder, now looking at him closely he appeared more stressed than ever.

Then he asked "Do you know Raymond Greyson."
"Hmmm, his father was your partner before they moved to Spain." I stated, wondering how he would help our current situation.
"Well, after his father passed away, he took over their company and now he is back here." he stopped talking and looked at me.
"Okay?" I urged him to continue.
"He came to me wanting to contribute to the company, he wants us to be partners again and that will boost the companies productivity rate and everything will stabilize. But he wants something in return."
Already feeling hopeful, I asked "What."
"You." he emphasized by pointing to me.

Many thoughts crossed my mind at once. I really hope he was pulling my legs. Dad seeing my facial expression knew what I was about to ask and said "I am not joking or playing pranks on you, this is serious, I demanded to know his reason, all he said was, he will help us if only I agree to give your hand in marriage to him." he concluded facing down. I thought about it, I have nothing to lose, only to gain. No boyfriend to explain to and it will help the company once again.

"I will do it, I will marry him." I stated void of any facial emotions. My parents were surprised at first before they switched into the concerned parents. I didn't want them to worry too much about it, I had to explain.
"Dad, I know how much this company means to you, so if going down the aisle with the self centered bachelor ever, will save it, I will do it over and over again. Meanwhile I'm already too old, I need to start my own family." I elaborated jokingly while smiling genuinely. My mum was the first to tackle me in a hug, followed by my dad. I have never seen my dad this vulnerable before. It stabbed my heart literally.

As we pulled from each other, I asked the ultimate question "When am I meeting my husband to be." grinning widely. My dad shook his smiling at me. That is that smile I loved so much and I will do everything in my power to keep it that way.

After the not so bad meeting, I went to my room deciding not to tell my friends about the new development. Maybe when I meet Raymond, set the terms for the marriage then I can tell them how I miraculously within a week of breakup, I'm getting married to the most alluring bachelor in USA. That is going to be really hard to explain but I will pull it off.

The week didn't have anymore smouldering news so far or so I thought. Dad gave a message through mum that I would be meeting the all enticing fiance of mine. I was nervous but didn't want to overreact. Mum made sure I was ready, selecting the dress, shoes and hired a stylist to do my make up and hair. I was going to meet him in one of the eligible hotels in all of New Jersey. I couldn't fathom why we had to meet in such a public place but I agreed to this so I will follow suit.

The day arrived, I had to wake up as early as possible freshened up, I even shaved my legs to make them look smooth. I got my breakfast delivered in my room. After enjoying my meal as if it was my last supper, the stylist began working her magic. I wasn't allowed to look through the mirror until she was done. She helped me into the flowing sparkling silver gown that hugged my curves in the right places, it has a slit running from my left thigh to the floor, its hand was down my shoulder and had a deep v neck. My boobs looked bigger than usually, the dress is extravagantly beautiful.

She turned me to the mirror and couldn't recognize the lady staring back at me. I looked so different in a good way, my hair was curled to side, showing off my neck and the diamond necklace and earrings set mum gifted me for my 21st birthday. The makeup made my eyes seem prominent than before. With her help, I wore my nude six inch heels. Now I looked like a model. Walking down the stairs holding the dress, Mum and Dad were standing by the stairs.

"You look very beautiful." gushed mum. I blushed staring at my feet. Dad told me how gorgeous I looked and thanked me for what I was about to do, saying he knew it was a tough decision to make.
"I don't want to cry a ruin my makeup." I warned them. We said our goodbyes and I promised to tell them everything once I get back home.

Taylor was already standing with the back seat door opened for me. I entered and he closed the door, entered behind the wheel and started driving me to my partial doom. I hope I didn't make a mistake taking up the offer. I hope I don't end up regretting all this.

In a matter of time, we got to the hotel. I stepped out of the car and entered the restaurant section where he was waiting for me. I haven't seen him since I was 12 which was 10 years ago. He is of the same age as my brother. I had a childish crush on him, who wouldn't even at 17, he was deemed the most handsome in school, girls swirled around him, throwing themselves at him.

We weren't close only met during parties our parents organised. He lost his mother at the age of 10 and was left to be trained by his father. Not to sound rude but his dad is the least parental material, he has zero idea in parenthood. He spent most of his time at work leaving Ray at the merciful and caring hands of Mrs Sarah their maid head. She took good care of him but not having a motherly touch, he went rogue. According to my bother, at 15, he got caught up in the wrong crowd, dealt drugs and had sex with all type of women who were willing.

Maybe that was why his dad moved them away. He got tired of all the filed police cases on his son. With his money, he made everything disappear and Ray had a clean slate. I don't really blame the both of them for the way they behaved. If I happened to have lost my mum at such an early age, I will literally go insane and no amount of drugs or therapist would be able to fix me. I got my thoughts cut short as the doors opened leading me inside.